Saturday, April 11, 2020

Val Is InnoCENT, Not a Weirdo!

How silly of me to worry about finding a penny on my limited outings during Stay-At-Home-Down! Nothing materialized on Wednesday during the phone quest, but on THURSDAY, April 9, Val's Future Pennyillionaire fortune increased by one cent! One is better than none, you know!

I had treated myself to the last of the chicken tenders at the deli counter, and picked up Hick's special individual ice cream cups of vanilla with strawberry and chocolate swirl, four six-packs of Diet Mountain Dew @ 4/$10, three cans of refried beans, a bag of onions, four little cans of mushrooms, and a half-loaf of Nutty Oat Bread.

Let the record show that my view from the deli counter (now with a green line to stand behind) showed empty shelves in the paper towel area. Also, of all things to be depleted, the Save A Lot shelves were bare of CANNED MUSHROOMS! I don't know what people are making!

Anyhoo...there were two checkout lines open. I got behind a lady who was getting out her bank card to pay. Wouldn't you know it, the card reader said her her card could not be processed. She tried again. No luck. I've had the same problem there, so I did not consider her a possible scammer like the couple who once tried (in that very checkout) to use a card that had the chip CUT OUT, and neither of their names upon it.

Anyhoo...as the She 'un of Denial tried her card a third time, I noticed a miracle meant just for Val! A PENNY dropped to the floor, and landed by that gal's foot. I was trying to tell her. Really. But there was no pause in her chatter with the checker. It would have been rude to interrupt. THEN she said she was going to run out to her car to get some cash. As the cashier was asking if she was going to leave her stuff there, I snapped a picture.


Off went the She 'un of Denial, parking her cart full of groceries at the end of the counter. The cashier, wearing her gloves and face mask, apologized to me for my wait.

"Oh, that's okay. It's not like I have anywhere else to go! I'll just pick up this lucky penny here. I have a whole collection of them."


It was a face-down 2011. Now part of my Future Pennyillionaire collection!

Okay. So I know you're going to say I stole that penny from that woman. But I did NOT! She could have heard it fall, same as I did! Maybe it wasn't even hers. Maybe it had been laying on the shelf holding the card scanner.

Good thing we're past the days when you had to send off film to be developed. Somebody might have suspected ol' Val to be a weirdo who likes feet. I ASSURE YOU I DO NOT! I despise feet. I have a long history of blogging (here and on my supersecret blog) about my distaste for tootsies. I could not help it that my rightful penny landed next to her open toes.

The gal came back. Paid cash. Didn't drop any change. I WOULD have told her about THAT!

It was a single-penny week for Val, but much appreciated.
__________________________________________________________________

2020 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       # 35.
Dime        still at 8.
Nickle      still at 3.
Quarter  0

2019 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        20
Nickel        8
Quarter      5
__________________________________________________________________

6 comments:

  1. I see that your camera is back, so you must be learning your new phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made sure I knew how to work the camera before I left home. What good is a rare trip to town without the ability to document a penny find?

      Delete
  2. If you had to wait for her to return with cash, you deserve that penny. I wonder why she keeps her cash in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for morally supporting my (alleged) thieving ways! I also leave cash in the car, since I don't take in a whole purse, only my debit card and lottery machine cash in my shirt pocket.

      Delete
  3. You're right one penny is better than none, but not as good as the five cent piece I found while on my long walk of the day yesterday :)
    Yes, I'm bragging, because finding coins is so rare for me these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH! I am happy for you, but also a bit jealous. You must have deserved an Even Stevening more than I did! Probably because you weren't borderline STEALING your coin right out from under some lady's toes...

      Delete