Sunday, April 5, 2020

2020 Important Documents. They Said.

Heh, heh! How many people will I get coming to read this, thinking it's important? That's not my intent. I only want to reveal the tactics being used to TRICK THE ELDERLY!

I got ONE item in the mail on Thursday. So of course it had my full attention. It looked kind of official. 


Please excuse the Puffs With Lotion that I ripped in half to cover my address.

So... if you got this in the mail, with the Statue of Liberty hoisting her flame, the HEALTH NOTIFICATION ALERT, postage paid, in this time of THE VIRUS...would YOU expect some important information?

Val did. She's not generally gullible, you know. She views life through a suspicious, jaundiced eye. Not many people put one over on Val.

With our county being recently placed on stay-at-home-down, I thought that perhaps this was something I should look at. Maybe it was about a possible exposure. I tore the perforated ends off, and opened up that important document.


WHAT?

its in bold caps, in case i really AM hard of heardind, i guess
,pore l;ike hard of typoign!

Yes. That's pure, unadulterated Val at the keyboard. Let me translate.

It was just junk mail asking if I was hard of hearing! In large, bold print, just in case I was, perhaps. Junk mail to trick me into responding so I'd be on a million hard-of-hearing scammer call lists. Val is not hard of hearing. More like hard of typing.

No, it was not a warning that I had been exposed to an asymptomatic carrier, with a need to self-quarantine. Nothing important at all.

14 comments:

  1. We should all call that number and when they answer, just keep hollering "HELLO!...HELLO!...ANYONE THERE? HELLO!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I'm no expert, but maybe that would fall under the category of IRONY...

      Delete
    2. joeh, please do that and let us know what happens.

      Delete
  2. The clue is in the postage spot on the envelope. No stamp, no first class postage marking: junk mail. SWMBO taught me that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I confused that US Postage Paid thing in the corner with the one that was on my Census letters. Those scammy tricksters!

      Delete
  3. Junk mail! One we get now and then is where our address is seemingly written by hand. The letter appears to be on lined school paper, also in script.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've gotten one like that, but not for a while. Can't remember what it was for. Maybe a car dealer, wanting our "old" car for a trade-in? I get emails wanting our car, and have never given out my email address to a car dealer!

      Delete
  4. I laugh at the letters written in English saying if you need a translator etc, when the people who can't read English would still have no idea what it says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! That would be like me getting a letter in Chinese. I could blog about it, though!

      Delete
    2. Now that, is irony...I think.

      Delete
  5. We received the same thing, and also half a dozen offers from people who want to purchase our home, which is not for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also get the letters for insuring our water line from the city hookup to the house, even though we have a well, not public water.

      Delete
  6. Junk mailers now have a captive audience! People under quarantine, bored and willing to actually read the stuff. HeWho gets those at least twice a month, of course, he is hard of hearing and wears hearing aids. Did I ever tell you the story of how he obtained his fancy, very expensive hearing aids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine they've already thrown away the cereal boxes they were reading, and can't get out for more.

      Yes! I remember where HeWho got his hearing aids! That story gave me a chuckle. If only Hick could find something as useful...

      Delete