Monday, February 17, 2020

Val Thevictorian: Evil, Evil Do-Gooder

Let the record show that despite recent allegations of her bank branch concerning up-to-date identification, Val tries to do the right thing.

Saturday afternoon, I stopped by the Backroads Hardee's for some chicken tenders. I am a frequent tender-buyer, and I knew that total before the drive-thru speaker told me. $7.14.

In the manner of old people everywhere, I dipped into my change cup on T-Hoe's console. No need to get back a handful of coins. I always pay with a twenty dollar bill, a dime, and a nickel. That way I only get back one penny in coinage, and a ten and three ones in bills. I don't use exact coins, because I don't want to get back exactly 13 dollars! And I don't want to use up my pennies that I need for my 44 oz Diet Coke exact change. It makes sense to me.

Anyhoo...I paid the high school girl working the drive-thru. She handed me back a ten, a five, and a penny. At first, I was like: "YES! An extra two dollars!"

Even if I DIDN'T make this purchase regularly, I would have known, from calculations in my head, that my change should have been $13.01. I'm a former VALEDICTORIAN, you know!

I considered letting his error slide. I stuffed the ten and the five into the side of my purse. But my old people conscience was bothering me. Did I NEED that extra two dollars? No. Would it make a difference to that high school fast-food worker? Yes. She might have her pay docked if she came up short. Or she might get fired!

When HS Gal handed me the bag of chicken tenders, I was still wavering. People were in line behind me. I opened the bag for a quick peek to make sure I had my honey mustard sauce, not that untasty HoneyQ they gave me by mistake twice. Besides, they've been shorting me a sauce. Two is standard.

"I'm just checking my sauce. What? I only get ONE?"

"Oh, here. Let me give you more." She handed me TWO more. Well. That sealed it.

"I think you gave me too much change back."

"I gave you the penny!"

"I know. But my bill was $7.14. You gave me the penny. But I should only have gotten back $13 from the twenty."

"Um. Can you come over here with your key?" She called to the high school boy 'supervisor'. He unlocked the register, and WALKED AWAY as she was explaining her predicament.

"I'm only trying to help. I wouldn't want your drawer to come up short. Here. Take back the five, and give me three ones."

She did. She looked at me like I had three heads. Horned heads, with glowing red eyes. Like I was trying to cheat HER! Kind of scared of me.

I wish she would have just trusted me. Sadly, she would probably proceed through the day, mis-changing customers all willy-nilly, and then blame ME for her shortages at register close-out.

Here's the kicker. Later that evening, I looked at the receipt. She had originally punched in the wrong amount when I handed her $20.15. Then she tried to correct it by putting in another amount.


I folded the receipt so as not to expose her name. She would only have been off by a nickel if I kept that extra money! According to what she punched in, her register would have been 5 cents over. But because I made her give me the actual change I was owed, she was instead over by $2.05.

SHEESH! I sense that this gal is not a future valedictorian. I'm hoping she erred enough on the other side to balance out her drawer. It's a shame that people can't do math in their head these days, without a cash register or calculator. They don't understand why you don't just hand over a twenty, and take a pocketful of change.

I hope she didn't pay the price for my honesty.

16 comments:

  1. That's why you're the Victorian and she's not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. But I might not be so generous at handing out sauces when confronted about being miserly. She has her strengths, I have mine.

      Delete
  2. I don't have any issue with stupid people, it is stupid people with attitude that make me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least she seemed to be asking for help from the student manager. She only looked at me like I was evil, didn't tell me to EFF OFF or anything. So I guess she was one of the 'good' stupids.

      Delete
  3. I'm a little surprised that she didn't know how to cancel the first entered amount and redo the order. If she continues that way all day, her till tally is going to be a mess by knock off time. Perhaps it was her first hour on her first day and we should hope tomorrow is better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not at all surprised! I dared go back two days later, and she was NOT working the window. Oh, and there also must have been a THEFT!

      The dude working the window was asking an older dude standing there if he knew how much was taken from donations! I hope our little gal didn't make off with some cash!

      Delete
  4. maybe she used donations for her mistake corrections. I had a $10 out and the girl said I could not hand her change for the cents part of my bill because she had already put in the bill. I had to tell her how much she owed me. I think she thought I was cheating her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clerks in Casey's went into a panic years ago, when their register was down. No phone apps back then.

      Somebody got a calculator off the shelf, or they would have needed to close the store because they couldn't figure out change. I'm pretty sure nobody was calculating sales tax!

      Delete
  5. Don't they teach basic math in schools there? more importantly, why aren't there classes in giving and receiving change for purchases? They could call the class "Shop" and the kids would think they were just playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH! Don't get me started! I used to have a classroom next to the 7th and 8th grade math teacher. I could hear her banging her head against the chalkboard, and later the dry-erase marker board, in frustration from trying to teach those kids common sense math tactics, like figuring a tip, or how much a 15% off sale would save.

      It didn't help that she was commanded to allow CALCULATORS in her classroom! Like she said, once they learn the BASICS, then they could use calculators to check answers. But at that level, they need to master the basic techniques first.

      Thank goodness my own kids got educated before that Common Core crap was foisted on us.

      Delete
  6. Have you seen the new math it is a wonder anyone can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was bad enough when my kids were in school. Then that Common Core stuff started, which would give them some credit for being NEAR the right answer!

      Delete
  7. Chances are you are not the only one.
    I am starting to look for pennies on the ground or wherever. So far I have one penny and one dime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know mistakes can happen. Her response to my honesty made me think that maybe she isn't all that conscientious about doing her job correctly.

      You're off to a good start with a DIME already!

      Delete
  8. One day these same kids will be in charge …..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I don't relish being on the downwind side of that Fulton nuclear power plant!

      Delete