Friday, February 21, 2020

Convenience Store Counters of the Broken-Word Kind

Val is a little short of material this week, but she can always work herself into a rant. With hardly any effort!

Hick has become obsessed with his Casey's membership thingy. You can earn points with every purchase, and get offers for free stuff. He somehow locked himself out of his own account, so started a new one using my phone number! But that's not the rant!

Every time I buy something at Casey's, like scratchers or gas, I now have to punch in my account number. It takes extra time, but I do it. For Hick.

On Wednesday, I knew I had earned some really good points for Hick. He usually just buys donuts every morning (secretly, he thinks), and gas once a week. I buy scratchers at a Casey's, several times a week. They cost more than donuts.

I was over at the School-Turn Casey's after getting a trim of my lovely lady-mullet at Terrible Cuts. I had $45 worth of winning scratchers to cash in. I bought four $5 tickets, and took the rest back in money. I told Hick when I got home,

"I got you however many points you get for a $20 purchase!"

Hick was excited. "I got 20 points for my...stuff, and water, and it only cost two dollars."

He looked up his account. It showed three purchases that day. Two of them gave him points, and one did not.

"I was at Casey's twice today. It gave me the points. But your transaction didn't."

"I have the receipt! It's still in my purse. She gave it to me, so I just stuffed it in there. Does it show points on it?"

"I don't know. I usually don't take my receipt. Let me look. No. There's no points showing. Wait! Maybe they don't give points on lottery."

"They've always asked me if I have an account, and if I want to enter my information."

"Huh. Maybe it was because you didn't pay for your tickets. You cashed IN tickets."

"Why should THAT matter? They didn't give me scratchers for FREE! Those winners were worth money. I could have taken the whole $45 back. In CASH."

"Yeah. That doesn't seem right. I'll ask them girls tomorrow when I  get...when I go there."

So...Hick was told that I didn't get the points because I paid with lottery winners. We devised a new plan. I won't cash in my tickets at Casey's. I'll cash them in at The Gas Station Chicken Store, or Orb K, and spend the CASH on tickets I get at Casey's.

That's what I did on Thursday. Paid only cash, for scratchers and gas. This was over in Sis-Town. The clerk told me to have a nice day, as I was waiting for that little card-reading gizmo to let me enter my points.

"Wait. I was putting in my account number for the points."

"Oh. I already cleared out the register."

"But I was trying to enter my points."

"Well, I'm pretty fast about ringing things up. Do you want me to void it?"

"Yes. So I can enter my points."

She punched a lot of buttons on her register. Asked for my phone number, which is the account number. Then said,

"Okay. Your points are in."

When I got home, I told Hick I wasn't sure about that transaction. It seemed kind of fishy. I thought she was going to re-enter it so I could put in my points. But then SHE did it. He looked up his account.

"There's no transaction on there. You didn't get the points."

"DANG IT! That was a $35 transaction!"

It's bad enough that Casey's doesn't count cashed-in scratchers as money for a purchase, even though they will hand you cash when you redeem them. It's bad enough if they just tell you that you're too late to put in your account number and get your points. But to deliberately LIE about putting those points in FOR you...

That's a whole 'nother level of ranting.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They are redeemable for cash, and spend like cash, so the points should be counted! Today I cashed them in, then gave Hick the money for our purchases. He got his points.

      Delete
  2. That is a double rip-off! How many points dose it take to get a free donut? I expect you could buy a donut faster by saving the pennies they leave all willy-nilly around the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, the donut is a bonus that you don't have to buy with points. Maybe you get it just for being a member? I don't have an account! So I HAVE TO pick up pennies.

      Delete
  3. Definitely something fishy there. From now on you are going to have to state right from the beginning that you wish to enter your numbers to get the points. What a kerfuffle. I'm glad I never bother with points or rewards cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I never bother with them! Now I'm commanded to, to feed Hick's account. He was getting madder and madder this afternoon, because his gas points were showing, but not our lunch purchase. THEN he said, "Dang it! I entered MY phone number instead of yours!"

      Other people may help Hick, but he just can't help himself.

      Delete
  4. Your points have been pilfered. She probably entered her own phone #

    ReplyDelete
  5. Save yourself some future trouble and get Hick's account sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick has to learn to help himself! He's thinking about changing the number associated with his account, now that he's all smug because he got his email notification set up. I have a feeling that number transfer won't end well...

      Delete
  6. I think those point systems really aggravate employees and they would love to get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a customer, I was really aggravated when they kept pushing me to make an account, during the first month they rolled out their points club. Now that I'm trying to use one, how dare they not give me Hick's points!

      Delete