Saturday, February 15, 2020

Take Care of the Dollars, and the PENNIES Will Take Care of Themselves

Val was sweating it this week, in the 16-degree weather, with nary a penny to her weekly name. Lucky for her, on FRIDAY, February 14, she found one on the parking lot of her credit union.


I swear, I walked right past that spot on the way in, and saw NOTHING. Not for lack of looking. At the end of the week, I'm desperate to avoid a shut-out. I was there to make a DEPOSIT, rather than a withdrawal. I'm at the credit union at least once a month, dealing with The Pony's college account. He got a mid-three-figures refund this semester, from scholarship money in excess of his tuition and fees. Can't beat that with a stick!


This was a face-down 1959 penny. Sorry, Pony! It's going in my collection, not into your account! The Pony is a lucky fella, still having not touched the funds his grandma deposited for his college education when he was just a young 'un. I know she would be so proud of his scholarship.
_______________________________________________________________________

THURSDAY, February 13, I found a nickel in the dryer, at home in my laundry room. Technically, it IS money found by ME, that didn't belong to me. Hick does his own laundry. So I'm claiming it toward my Future Pennyillionaire Fortune, though I am a bit ambiguous concerning its authenticity.

It was sideways in the lint trap, so neither heads-up nor face-down. It's the 2014 version, with the unflattering image of Thomas Jefferson. However, it IS less embarrassing than a perceived image of him sitting on a boot, taking a crap.

As a corollary to the title, I suppose you could also say: "Take care of the laundry, and the nickels will take care of themselves."

This gives me 6 cents for the week. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to sneeze at!
__________________________________________________________________

2020 Running Total
Penny     # 14.
Dime       still at 1.
Nickle     # 1
Quarter  0

2019 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        20
Nickel        8
Quarter      5
__________________________________________________________________ 

6 comments:

  1. This "unflattering image of Thomas Jefferson. However, it IS less embarrassing than a perceived image of him sitting on a boot, taking a crap." Must have some of your newer readers scratching their head and or doing a twirly thing around their ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I provided the link. I will NOT be held responsible for claims submitted to BOSHA (Blogosphere Occupational Safety and Health Administration) for carpal tunnel syndrome suffered from excess crazy temple twirly finger use!

      Delete
  2. I have found only two pennies this whole year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6 cents is better than five and it's a nice clean nickel too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Thomas Jefferson WAS well-scrubbed!

      Delete