Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Val is the Best Dinner Companion Ever

You might want to get on my calendar now, before I'm all booked up. I know hungry people will beat a path to my restaurant table, because I GET FREE FOOD!

Friday night, we took The Pony to a steakhouse. He wasn't very hungry, so only had a small steak. Along with a baked potato, butter only, and cooked apples. Also, about 4 rolls!

I had the teriyaki chicken with glazed pineapple on rice, and broccoli. Also a Caesar salad for my second side dish.

The salad was the best thing about the meal. It must have had some of THE Asiago cheese in it, heh, heh! (Thanks, joeh, for giving me that idea!)

The chicken here was kind of tasteless, skimpy on the teriyaki sauce. You'd think they could have sprung for TWO pineapple slices. And not ruined the whole thing with diced green onion on top. WHO eats green onion on their pineapple teriyaki chicken? Not this ol' Val, that's for sure! You can see where I picked off the green onion, beside the good-enough broccoli.

Oh, that bare space on my plate? That wasn't due to poor plating. I had A GIANT SCHOONER OF CORN that I didn't order!

There it is, in front of Hick's plate of steak, loaded baked potato, and shrimp skewer on rice. Next to his Michelob Ultra draft. I tried a bite, and YUCK! I was hoping it might be that delicious corn that we had TWICE in my whole 28 years of teaching, when I suppose the cafeteria got a shipment of frozen corn. Not this stuff. It was straight out of the can, nothing added. If I want that, I'll go to Save A Lot with my can-opener and a spoon.

Still, it was FREE corn. I told the waiter I didn't order it. At first I thought he was going to snatch it back, but Hick said, "I'll eat it." So he saved some other poor patron from getting recycled corn. Maybe or maybe not asked-for.

The next day, we went to The Pony's pick, Steak n Shake, for lunch. I am not a fan of their fries, but I AM a fan of their slaw! So I ordered my Western BBQ and Bacon burger with a side of slaw. That's how I said it, too. "I'll have the Western Barbecue Bacon burger, with a side of slaw." I'll be darned if that waitress didn't bring me a plate with my burger and fries!

"I'm sorry. I ordered a side of SLAW, not fries."

"Oh. Did you?" She consulted her ticket. "Yes. I'm sorry. I'll get your slaw."

So there you go! FREE FRIES! No way could she ask me to scrape them off my plate. Even though I did so, onto The Pony's plate, because he loves the fries.


So...if you want a dining companion to share some clever repartee, and some FREE surprise food, let me know when you'll be in Oklahoma, and we'll meet up to scam some servers.

Let the record show that this waitress also brought Hick fries instead of onion rings, but I'll not have him stealing my dinner dates!

21 comments:

  1. You know I am on a diet and this post was very painful.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just look at the chicken and broccoli! Maybe the corn. Forget all the other goodies.

      Delete
  2. Onions! On pineapple! With chicken! Oh, the humanity. I like my onions on the side so I can avoid them easier.

    Was that THE teriyaki sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The onions seemed out of place on top of the pineapple. Hick eventually told me to scrape them on top of "his" corn. Trying to get some flavor, I guess.

      It must have been THE teriyaki sauce, because I think that plate cost $10.99. I could get a BAG of boneless chicken, a CAN of pineapple, and a BUNCH of broccoli for less than that at Save A Lot!

      Delete
  3. Corn out of a can is hardly a diner offering. Taking a can opener and your own can might be a statement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The statement might be: "Get out of here with your own canned corn!"

      Delete
  4. I think you're finding ways to scam the system for free food. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took no effort on my part. Just my presence. I could rent myself out as a dining companion.

      Delete
  5. I don't know if your travels take you to or through Tulsa but there's a tiny place there that makes the most amazing sausage burger sandwiches. The BRD lived there (not in the diner) for around 20 years and took us there once. Highly recommended. And it's not tablecloth dining, it's a diner kind of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We WOULD go through Tulsa, if we took the turnpike. We don't, because Hick says it's too boring on such a long drive in one day. We veer off at Big Cabin, and take Hwy 69 south through a bunch of towns like Muskogee, and get on Hwy 40 at Chekotah.

      We also avoid OKC, and take 240 to 77H near Midwest City (by Tinker Air Force Base), going into Norman the back way, avoiding I-35, which is a madhouse at rush hour.

      Too much information, I know! A sausage burger sounds good, so if we ever go through Tulsa, I'll look into it.

      Delete
    2. It's about half sausage and half hamburger. A carnivore's delight.

      Delete
    3. Can't beat that with a stick!

      Delete
  6. I'll pass. It's a long way to come, I don't have a passport and I really hate canned corn. joeh can take my place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure joeh will be glad to get your canned corn, as long as it is THE canned corn!

      Without a passport, you're not getting on a plane, and it would be a very long swim! Just your luck, you might be turned away as you crawled onto the beach with no passport. So I understand why you decline such a warm invitation.

      Delete
    2. An easy pop fly in baseball used to be called a "Can of corn." Not sure why, something to do with an easy reach at the local grocery store maybe.

      Delete
  7. Nothing sounds good except the Pony's apples. You would think they could a little effort into that corn. I do love pineapple. Last week I dumped a can of pineapple chunks on top of a pork loin in the crockpot and added a quarter cup of brown sugar and a tablespoon of light soy sauce, cooked for 4 hours and it was yummy. Tasty without salt (except the salt in the soy sauce).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony offered us a taste of the apples. I declined, although I DO like them. Hick, who said, "Nah, I don't like cooked apples," ate about 1/3 of that dish of apples.

      Your pork loin sounds delicious! I'd eat it, if somebody made it for me.

      Delete
    2. I'll just scribble down that crockpot recipe, it sounds delicious. Did you drain the pineapple? No? I thought not. Did you cut up the pork loin? my crockpot is tiny, so I would have to cut it.

      Delete
    3. No, I didn't cut it up, but I only cooked half of the loin and froze the other half, just for the two of us. I did drain most of the juice off, but I would think it would just be juicier if you didn't. I thickened the sauce with a little cornstarch and served it over rice. Next time I am going to add snow peas at the end of the cooking cycle. It is hard to find tasty food that needs no extra salt that HeWho will enjoy. He will pretty much eat anything!

      Delete
  8. Thank you Kathy, I'll cook up the whole loin and then freeze half or two thirds of the meal for future meals.

    ReplyDelete