Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The Next Best Thing

It's no secret that I think of my mom when I find a penny. I'm not the one who coined the concept of Pennies From Heaven, but I buy into it. I also think of Mom when I see a ladybug. She harbored them in her house, which was a joking point with us, and I saw them everywhere the month after she died. My sightings have slowed down considerably, but I did have an encounter in the shower a week or two ago.

February is a special month for me. It contains my birthday, and also The Pony's birthday, during the first two weeks. I was a bit disappointed last week to find NO PENNIES at all! That only happens a few weeks a year. Saturday evening, I checked for comments on my blog post for the Saturday CENTSus, bemoaning the lack of coinage to show off for the week.

I browsed through a few other sites before going upstairs for supper. One of them was about recent primary elections. I rarely read this site, but the title caught my eye. So did the comments. There were 143 of them, as I recall. I was scrolling through, reading here and there, when I saw

A LADYBUG!

Sure, it was just an avatar. But it still counts as a ladybug! How many of those do you see every day? None for me! Until Saturday evening, February 8th. I didn't even look for the comment, just clicked on that avatar to see it bigger.


My mom's name was Dorothy. She passed away February 4, 2015. Five years ago that week.

10 comments:

  1. I almost want to mail you a penny.

    One year there was a ladybug explosion in the Midwest. We could sweep them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten a penny in the mail several times! Taped inside some junk mail, with what I suppose was a witty proposal.

      I remember the 17-year cicada explosion. My ears are still ringing. It seems like we DID have an influx of ladybugs during the fall of 1998, 1999, or 2000. I remember my classroom during those three years, and having them on the outside of my 2nd floor windows.

      Delete
  2. WOW, What a coincidence with the Dorothy ladybug on your mother's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't consider such things a coincidence, as much as a sign that I seem to be on the right path, with something putting me there at that place at the right time.

      Delete
  3. Wink! We know it wasn't a coincidence. Just have to have your eyes open to see the gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Some people are tuned into that frequency, and others are not. The Pony and I seem to have it, Genius and Hick, not so much.

      When The Pony went away to college the first year, he had ladybugs crawling on his arm or leg before a special scholar award ceremony, and before a big test. He also saw one inside the lounge where he was studying.

      Delete
  4. Well you did alright this week so that makes up for last week.

    ReplyDelete