Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Val Must Really Be Looking Decrepit These Days

What is with the sudden influx of MANNERS in Backroads?

In a single day, a lady held a door open for me, AND a man offered to take my cart to the cart corral at Save A Lot! Granted, they were not strapping young physical specimens themselves. They were younger than ME, though. Seems like only yesterday a twenty-something slid out the Casey's door like Indiana Jones rolling under a heavy slab, and then PUSHED THE DOOR SHUT behind him as I was reaching for it.

I must really be looking decrepit these days. I appreciate their efforts, those today-did-wells. I'd do the same with the door, and maybe with the cart, if I was on the way into the store. But I am perfectly capable of performing these tasks for myself.

SHEESH! You'd think I was a regular Eddie Murphy on his no-leg wooden cart in Trading Places! Only I would have two wooden carts, to fully support my ample rumpus.

10 comments:

  1. Yes that is it, Val has become the crypt keeper. I will be joining you shortly if my back has anything to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When growing up, men opened the door for others.

    Now, I am still seeing that, as we lived where many military live. And if one who served, they still hold the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boys will hold doors open for people. But generally, the ones I encounter from their generation do not. These two were more around the age of HOS (Hick's Oldest Son), born in 1980.

      Delete
  3. I never question, just say thank you...lol. However, I sometimes wonder how I am viewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I thanked them. I did not try to gauge their opinion of me, concerned that they might have done their good deed out of pity!

      Delete
  4. A day for smiles and thank you's. Take it where you find it I say, you never know when the backsliding will start and you'll have to open your own doors again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay with opening my own doors, but I REALLY detest having one pushed shut as I am reaching for it! Who does that? It was a glass door, the kind that slowly closes itself when you walk out and let go. NOBODY pushes those doors closed! I was RIGHT THERE, reaching for it, as that guy came out. Weirdo!

      Delete
  5. I cringed the first time a man held the door and said, "Ma'am" Now I bow my head when they say, "Here you go, dear." I am grateful but not helpless. I get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, but I do not like it when they say, "Here you go, YOUNG lady." Don't patronize me!

      Delete