Saturday, February 29, 2020

Val Made New Finds, But That Didn't Stop 'Er, One Was Silver, the Other COPPER

You may recall that last week, Val found not a single penny. Her coffers overflowed with nickels and dimes. All silver. THIS week marked the return of the penny. Yes. I know that pennies are now made mostly of zinc, with a thin copper coating. No need to enlighten me.

SUNDAY, February 23, Hick and I stopped at the Steelville Casey's for gas, beverages, and scratchers. While standing in line waiting for Hick to pay, I was pleased to see a PENNY where no interloper would dare snatch it from me.


I unceremoniously said, "MOOOOVE!" like SNL's Your Company's Computer Guy, elbowed Hick out of the way, and stepped in for a closeup.


It was a shiny, heads-up 2019. Meant just for me! It hadn't been there when I first entered, and cashed out my winning scratchers.
______________________________________________________________________

MONDAY, February 24, I opened T-Hoe's door at the Gas Station Chicken Store, and saw a welcome sight for a dreary day.


How convenient that a penny had been dropped in that fairly remote area of the lot, where I routinely park T-Hoe by the moat, away from other cars. Obviously, it was meant specifically for ME!


It was a face-down 2009, wet from the early morning rain that almost flooded the creek.
___________________________________________________________________

My luck continued on THURSDAY, February 27, at Orb K.


I was actually looking in that rack where I found last week's dime, when I noticed the penny. Thank goodness the gal scurrying to the other register didn't see it and stop! Because it was MINE!


This was a heads-up 1983, among the unswept crumbs of Orb K's concrete floor.
____________________________________________________________________

FRIDAY, February 28, I hit the double jackpot at the School-Turn Casey's. It might be hard for your untrained eye to spot my treasure.


See the notch in T-Hoe's door, just under the armrest? Follow that out past the little grease spot at about the ten o'clock position, and you'll see the penny. Don't be fooled by the cigarette butt!


Just after taking the closeup of this heads-up 2000 penny, I spied my double luck!


It was off to the left, at the end of that crack. It's actually visible in the first photo here. I would have gone crazy if I noticed it when blowing up the picture, and realized I had left one behind!


This was a face-down 1989. When I came out of the store, a car was parked in that spot. I'd have missed both cents, were it not for my precise timing. I was obviously meant to have them!
__________________________________________________________________

That's 5 cents towards my Future Pennyillionaire Fortune this week!
__________________________________________________________________

2020 RUNNING TOTAL
 
Penny      # 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.
Dime        still at 3.
Nickle      still at 3.
Quarter  0

2019 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        20
Nickel        8
Quarter      5
__________________________________________________________________

10 comments:

  1. I'd have a better chance to find Waldo then that penny...even with your directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a trained (and somewhat obsessed) eye.

      Delete
  2. That should be thAn in case River is editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You beat her to it, but only because of the time zones!

      Delete
  3. Who me? Edit? Ha Ha. I do often get annoyed by the wrongly than/then interchange, but I've done it myself on occasion :(
    Yay for four pennies. I love your rhyming title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't shortchange me! It was 5 pennies, by cracky!

      As for the title, I was trying to rip off that song about "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold."

      Delete
  4. Did I ever tell you how my dad and I used to search for coins on a gravel parking lot where employees partied after work on Friday nights? I developed an eagle eye and always came up with a dollar's worth of change. I understand your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a gold mine! I mean, a silver and copper mine!

      Delete
  5. As you know, I don't get out much, but I do enjoy the rewards of cleaning the laundry room. Quarters, mostly quarters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find many quarters. Especially not in my own laundry room. Hick is a coin miser!

      Delete