Wednesday, July 17, 2019

More of Hick's UNIT-y Goodness

Hick also won the auction lottery at a smaller auction last week. Again, he paid a dollar to enter the raffle. I guess this auction didn't have great items to choose from, because Hick picked a clock. When he told me, I was thinking maybe it was an antique, or a unique shape. You know, because he seemed so proud to tell me about it.

"Can you get me a picture?"

"No. I already sold it."

"What did it look like?"

"Just a clock."

"Uh...like...to set on a mantel? To hang on the wall?"

"Just a wall clock. Round."

"Did it have wood trim or something?"

"No. Just gold trim. A clock like you might get at Walmart for $10. I sold it for $5. I made $4 off of it, because it only cost me a dollar to win it!"

Hick gets excited over the most minor things...

He also got a nice frame the other day for my best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel. We're long overdue for a visit. You may recall that she likes fancy gold frames with a New Orleans kind of vibe. Hick finds them for her, and when he has several, we meet for lunch, and to display his wares. Mabel buys the ones she likes, and the others Hick brings back to sell at his Storage Unit Store.

"I got a nice frame for Mabel. I sent you a picture."


"I had just opened up when one of the ladies who sells up there came walking over. 'I've got a frame for you. How much will you give me?' I said I'd give her $5, and she said, 'Okay!' I think Mabel will like it."

Not sure what he'll charge Mabel. He doesn't have to make a large profit. Any profit will do.

10 comments:

  1. Maybe you should take that one to antiques roadshow. It might be a masterpiece....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always Hick's first thought. He had a painting a while back that he thought was worth tens of thousands, but took it to an auction house and found out it was around $100. I think he sold it for less than that.

      Delete
  2. Fast turnover is key! Plus he probably has a reputation for good prices and gets repeat customers.

    Hey, it worked for McDonald.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick does have repeat customers. He looks for stuff they like. Such as elephants that one lady collects. But the trunk has to be UP, or she says they're bad luck.

      Delete
    2. I inherited a bunch of elephants, ivory and glass, of various size from really tiny to a small fist. As you mention it, all have trunks up.

      Delete
    3. Good thing you inherited LUCKY elephants!

      Delete
  3. It's a nice frame, I like mine with a bit more picture space, but Mabel will probably like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mabel has pictures of assorted sizes that need framing. I think she'll like this one because it's different from the regular frames she already has.

      Delete
  4. Mabel has a personal buyer!! I am always coming home with stuff for my kampers that I know they will like. If it is super inexpensive I will usually just give it to them, ut most will offer to pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a year-round Santa Claus!

      Hick has gotten Mabel some real bargains, for about a quarter of the price she's seen such frames when she's out and about. I'm pretty sure they don't frequent the same shops. Mabel likes to re-finish the wood frames anyway.

      Delete