Saturday, October 6, 2018

A CENTS of Pride in Cleanliness is Sadly Lacking at Orb K

After celebrating my 100th penny of 2018 last week, with half a piece of leftover cake from Hick's high school reunion...I started this week out with a double-find at Orb K on SUNDAY, September 30th.


Right in front of the scratcher display. A 1982 face-up penny, meant just for me!


I harvested it while the clerk was getting my tickets from behind the counter. Then, having stepped over to the counter to pay, I saw a second penny meant just for me!


It was a face-down 1983. I had to mention it to the clerk, because she was staring at me wondering what in the Not-Heaven I was doing. I told her I found a lucky penny, and was taking a picture. She asked if it was face-up. I'm not sure I liked her tone! Perhaps it had less to do with casting aspersions on my luck, and more to do with me backing up her line.


Actually, it was not my fault for the line, because another clerk was there just shooting the bull with my working clerk, and could easily have taken people at one of the other two registers. It's kind of an INCONVENIENCE store, that Orb K.
_____________________________________________________________________

The very next day, MONDAY, October 1st, I spied another penny while paying at Orb K's counter.


Don't be tricked by spots on the floor! The actual penny, a face-down 2003, is camouflaged in two colors to blend in with the two-tone floor.


Can't say for sure, but I have my suspicions that this penny was not this dirty when it originally dropped to the floor! Orb K is kind of like the PigPen of INCONVENIENCE stores. They need to close for 24 hours, and put all those gab-happy clerks to scrubbing with old toothbrushes!

#########################################################################

STOP THE PRESSES!
Again, I have found part of my Future Pennyillionaire Fortune a scant hour before this week's Saturday CENTSus was set to publish.

It's SATURDAY, October 6th, and I saw a penny meant just for me, at the feet of a longish line in Casey's.


Everybody else seemed to be ignoring this face-down 1992 treasure. Good. More for ME!


My closeup was ruined by a boy sent back to get a bottle of water, who could not simply walk around me, but felt the entitledness to weasel in between the line-waiters and my photo opportunity, causing me to flinch while my phone was stalling before snapping the pic after I pressed the button.

But that wasn't my greatest find! No siree, Bob! Hiding under the display rack was


A face-up 2018 QUARTER!!! It was the Michigan version, with a picture it proclaimed to be Apostle Islands on the reverse side. I would have gotten a better picture, but a clerk had the nerve to open up the second register mid-snap, and proclaim that she could help me.

Oh, but the excitement doesn't end there! My last stop was Orb K, which pulled through again, both in coinage and filth!


That's a face-down 2010 up against the wall. I really wish Orb K would decide to re-finish their floors, because these pennies are too well camouflaged on the pretty part. The whole store used to look like that. I don't know what they were thinking.


Such a lovely twinning effect from the reflection in the cleanest part of their store!

So...for the skimmers...the total find this week was 5 pennies, and 1 quarter. THAT'S 30 CENTS, people!
_________________________________________________________________________

For 2018: Penny  # 101, 102, 103, 104, 105.
For 2018: Dimes still at  # 14.
For 2018: Nickels still at # 4.
For 2018: Quarter #1.


Since 2017 (the beginning), this was Penny # 179, 180, 181, 182, 183.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this is still Dime # 20.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this is still Nickel # 4.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this was Quarter #1.
__________________________________________________________________________

9 comments:

  1. You are painstakingly slowly getting rich! With good investing in about a thousand years you could be rich! Which reminds me that I should get out the metal detector now that tourist season is over. I look, but am not nearly as consistent as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jono's right--it could take you a while!!

      Delete
    2. Better slow than never! My son Genius had a metal detector inherited from my dad. I think Hick enjoyed it more than Genius. I might need to remind him of it if he runs out of things to do.

      Delete
  2. Do you also help yourself to the leave a penny take a penny dish, or do they just use the floor and not a dish in your parts of the country?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be CHEATING! Surely you are not implying that Val is a CHEATER! Because then I would have to challenge you to a duel to defend my honor.

      Sheesh! What's next, asking if I reach into people's pockets to "find" my pennies???

      Most of the convenience stores I frequently frequent have the penny dish. Let the record show that The Gas Station Chicken Store does not. And that I rarely find a penny there, unless outside on the parking lot.

      Delete
  3. You are the queen of finding coins. One of these days you will find a rare one and that will be your escape from Back Roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait! Should I want to escape my kingdom? I'll just have that rare coin mounted onto my crown, or put on the end of my scepter.

      Delete
  4. Re-finishing those floors might be too big an ask, but surely a good sweeping could be done. AFTER you've harvested your pennies of course. and woo-hoo! on the quarter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not like they have a quarter dish that I can ALLEGEDLY pilfer from!

      Delete