Saturday, October 27, 2018

Val Really Should Have Been More InCENTSed

Didn't find my first penny this week until WEDNESDAY, October 24th. That happens to be the birthday of my sister the ex-mayor's wife, but I don't give her any credit for my penny. Which I found at the counter of The Gas Station Chicken Store while waiting for an elderly man in sensible shoes to pay for his gas. He had stepped over to the side counter to use the card scanner.


This gave me the perfect opportunity to take my picture and snatch the penny. The Man Owner was standing near the second register, counting out his money. I suppose his wife was hogging the counting house and also the bread-and-honey. Anyhoo...I got the picture and put the penny in my shirt pocket.


It was a 1997. Face down, of course!

While I was standing there, perusing the latest taste-tempting treats they'd set upon the counter, having already mentally made my scratcher choices...a girl in hot pants walked in. Yeah, back in the 70s, we called them hot pants. I suppose in the 80s they became Daisy Dukes. Now they're just really short shorts. I only noticed because of her way of walking, kind of a flouncing gate, like she thought she was ALL THAT.

Imagine my surprise when the Sensibly-Shod Eldergentleman left, and Flouncy stepped right up to the counter, flinging her five one-dollar bills at Stern Old Clerk! Actually, Stern Old Clerk might have been even more surprised than I.

"Here's five dollars for my gas!" said Flouncy, forcing her limp currency at Old Lady Clerk.

"Oh. Uh. Did you already pump?"

"No. Not yet."

Well, you see, The Gas Station Chicken Store is old-school. You pump BEFORE you come in to pay. I guess Stern Old Clerk didn't feel like educating Flouncy, because she looked at her pump reader thingy, and said, "Okay, it's ready." Knowing full well that Flouncy would have been able to pump, whether she had paid yet or not. Flouncy flounced out, and Stern Old Clerk turned to me.

"I'm sorry about that."

"Oh, that's okay. Not your fault. It's these young whippersnappers these days!"

"Actually...well...I won't go into it."

Seems like all manner of whippersnappers give Stern Old Clerk reason to hold her tongue these days.
_________________________________________________________________________

On FRIDAY, October 26th, I barely spotted a meant-for-me penny under the counter of the Casey's out by my bank. I almost didn't take it, but seeing as how this Casey's is high-drama, and two clerks were in the middle of a personal-business discussion...


I snapped a pic, then a closeup, while the gal was ringing up my gas and two scratchers.


I almost regretted this face-down 1991 Lincoln when my fingers came in contact. It was covered with grime, and felt heavier and thicker than normal. But I dropped it in my shirt pocket and made my getaway.

Once home, trying to see the dirtied date, I discovered the reason for this Abe's different-abled-ness.


He was piggybacking a dime!!! More details on their separation tomorrow.
_________________________________________________________________________

For 2018: Penny  # 112, 113.
For 2018: Dime   # 15.
For 2018: Nickels still at # 4.
For 2018: Quarter still at #1.


Since 2017 (the beginning), this was Penny # 190, 191.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this was Dime # 21.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this is still Nickel # 4.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this is still Quarter #1.
__________________________________________________________________________

13 comments:

  1. Great that you get pictures of all the pennies, but couldn't you get a picture of the hot pants for the occasional dirty old man that might read your blog?

    You know, just IF there was a dirty old man that reads your blog. Not me of course...not that there is anything wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to amp up my weirdo level! I feel guilty enough when I get someone's feet in the picture. That old man didn't care, but a previous lady in orange sneakers looked alarmed, and tried to get out of the picture. And two younger guys in Casey's seemed a little annoyed.

      They'd probably react even more poorly if YOU were taking the picture.

      Delete
  2. Hot pants, I remember those. We lived in an apartment complex and the manager, the mother of teen boys wore them with great regularity. Lots of make up and really big hair. Her name was Edna Jo and we still call them Edna Jo shorts.
    Good catch on the dime-penny combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. F. D. R. was riding piggyback on Abe? Those wild & crazy guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flouncing gate? Gate? think about that for a minute. I've never seen a gate flounce before. Seen plenty of swinging gates. I know you meant 'gait' so I'll let you off the hook.
    I remember the summer my youngest sister-in-law got hotpants, her legs seemed to go on forever. She eventually turned out to be quite tall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya got me on that one. I did indeed mean 'gait'. I've found that I must really proofread more diligently over the past year, and that one got through.

      I'm just glad my sister the ex-mayor's wife didn't let HIM wear hot pants. That I know of...

      Delete
    2. River is better than grammar or spell check, she does not miss a miss. I wish they could put a "River app" on my Microsoft Word!"

      Delete
    3. I wish the "River app" could take the place of Autocorrect my phone! I typed in the name "Sarah" the other day, and it got changed to "Satan." I'm pretty sure The Pony's friend did not find that very amusing if he told her. Which I'm sure he did.

      Delete
    4. A "River app"? I could make a small fortune with that. If only I knew how.... and wasn't so lazy (*~*)

      Delete
  5. Odd people and a bonus dime! Doesn't get muh better than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I could only have been more lucky if I had actually seen a flouncing GATE!

      Delete