Monday, October 8, 2018

Smile, You're on Thevictorian's Camera (Part 2)

Since the campaign signs were flattened on Sunday, Hick had heard no more about the possible perpetrators. He had support from many of his fellow denizens here in our enclave, according to comments on his Facebook page.

Thursday, there were new developments. When I came home from town, my eye was drawn to the telephone pole in the neighbors' horse field. It's right across from our driveway, where DUMPY II goes on new-trash-day Wednesdays. The property belonging to Jack and Juno's nemesis(es), the Crazy Rottweiler and Killer Poodle.


A bright yellow sign was nailed to that pole, saying "Smile, you're on camera!" Oh, and directly above it was a smoky-glass, bubble-looking camera like you might notice in Walmart's ceiling.


I was none too happy to see that. I don't want to be spied on. That really makes me not want to take the trash up, or walk in the driveway. I wondered if the Crazy Rottweiler's Human Mom had ordered a camera, right after she heard about the sign-tampering. Or maybe somebody had been messing with her horses. Way back when they first moved in, the boys and I had gone over to ask if we could give our old apples to the horses. She looked at us like we had just sprouted two heads. Sheesh! It's not like we were knocking on nursing home doors, asking to feed our wrinkled old apples to their wrinkled old people! We just wanted to roll them under the fence, to give the horses a treat.

Anyhoo...you would think that if Crazy Rottweiler Human Mom had bought herself a camera, she would have put it closer to her own driveway, and faced it up the road toward Tommy's property next door to her. To see everybody coming down the road by her horse fence, not to see across the road onto our property.

Once inside the house, sitting in the La-Z-Boy, I noticed that I could still see the pole camera. Which meant the pole camera could see me! The whole situation seemed pretty weird. Why would the Crazy Rottweiler Neighbors want to keep an eye on OUR house? I got to thinking about how you can order those fake cameras from the What On Earth catalog, and those other mail-order companies with gifts like butt-crack banks and stuff. So maybe it wasn't even real. But WHY would they want to discourage people from messing with OUR property? I sent Hick a text.

"What's this camera thing on the Rottweiler's fence?"

"It's a dummy I put up. Rottweiler Mom had the sign, so I put up a dummy camera. I found it in one of my sheds."

"Great. Now we're even MORE hated!"

Not that anybody is messing with our stuff (besides the signs). But a couple of them complain about Hick's roadwork from time to time. Not to his face. I guess they think he's getting rich off their gravel money, even though he's still out about $500 of his own junking money, since some who said they were paying $200 didn't. Hick's buddy, Buddy, who was an accomplice in the bad-blacktopping venture, is also out some personal money, for hauling gravel without charge.

Anyhoo...I'm relieved that Hick is the one behind the camera, but I think it might cause ill will if people think they are being watched. However, Hick said, "It's not on OUR property! So they shouldn't think it's us!"

4 comments:

  1. Pretty clever of Hick to put up a camera, but thank goodness it's a dummy. I've been thinking of putting a dummy out in my garden to see if that stops people pinching too large cuttings, I don't mind if they take a little bit, but half a plant is going too far. People around here are pretty savvy though, they'd notice it was a dummy I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't like it there. Hick should put it down by the mailboxes by the creek, to discourage suspicious activity.

      Too bad people aren't savvy enough to realize that taking cuttings from other people's plants is STEALING!

      Delete
  2. Yes, it is stealing, but all the gardens here are open, mostly community grounds and most of us don't mind a cutting being taken here and there. Many, including me, will ask first, but some of the newer 'people' think nothing of ripping out large pieces or even a whole plant or potplant.
    That's a great idea to move the camera down by the mailboxes, maybe even two. Aim one at the boxes and one at the creek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enough is as good as a feast. A cutting would be considered sharing, but taking more I'd call theft!

      We wouldn't have minded a prank, if they'd let us know it was only a prank. Or even offered to come stick the signs back in the ground. It's just the thought that somebody might be maliciously messing with something on our property to get a reaction.

      Delete