Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Val, the Monster-Shouter

Let the record show that Stephen King did not base his Monster-Shouter character in The Stand on Val. Nor did Val (unsuccessfully) compete with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for the part in the TV mini-series. Nope. Val is just your standard, everyday, run-of-the-mill monster-shouter from Backroads, MO.

Actually, Val shouts more at the monster itself, rather than at other people, to warn them.


THIS is the monster we're talkin' about. Coming at Val at 10 mph, causing her to slam on T-Hoe's brakes and shout, "NO! Turn! You're going to run over me!" Okay. Val is a bit histrionic at times.

I was just leaving the end of Orb K on Sunday, having backed out of my parking space, and turned to look forward again. This monster truck came down the far side of the gas pumps and pulled in. I was creeping forward, waiting to see how much his trailer-pulling truck stuck out from the pumps. To decide if I could make that sharp right turn to get out of the parking lot, or if I should go straight, to the far side of the gas pumps, and turn right over there.

But no! This ol' Monster didn't stop for gas. It pulled along the edge of the parking lot, parallel with T-Hoe. And acted like T-HOE WAS IN THE WAY!


The puller-truck started a giant circular approach to turn around. Came at the driver's side of T-Hoe like a T-boning was in my future. I sped out of there before it was too late. I've seen BIGFOOT (the vehicle, not the mammal) on TV. I know what those monster trucks can do to a T-Hoe!

Off-road vehicles are common around here, with the state park a few miles away, with riding areas in the tailings from the old lead mine. Most of them aren't monster trucks, though. Just 4-wheelers and motorcycles. I guess it's good for the local economy, if not so good for the environment.

That goose-neck trailer sure had Val rubbernecking on Sunday.

8 comments:

  1. Maybe you should have one of those to take the short cut when the creek runs high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might do it! The only problem being how I could climb up into the driver's seat. I'd need to use T-Hoe as a stepstool.

      Delete
  2. I saw a tv commercial the other day advertising an upcoming monster truck bash or rally or some such in Phoenix. It's amazing what those gargantuans can do and one of them was driven by a young cute blonde WOMAN! What'll they think of next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the original Bigfoot has a shop in St. Louis. Hick took HOS and The Veteran there when they were kids, and got their picture, standing in a tire. They loved watching that stuff on TV, and knew all the truck names, like GraveDigger.

      Delete
  3. Big machines like that worry me too, if they're anywhere near any car or bus that I'm in. I like getting home the same way I left, in one piece, with no bandages or crutches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One year we were sitting in a fast food restaurant looking across the highway at a dealership that was featuring a monster truck event. We watched in disbelief as it mounted another vehicle and got completely stuck on the roof of the other truck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope somebody told the upper driver, "Watch that first step when you get out!"

      Delete