Saturday, October 13, 2018

Growing ComplaCENT

These days, I just take it for granted that I'm going to find a penny during the week. I wasn't even worried when I hadn't captured a single cent by Tuesday. That's how it works, you know. The more you worry about finding one, the less likely your are to have one dropped in your path. That's why I always seem to find pennies on a Saturday, right before my already-completed Saturday CENTSus hits the blogwaves.

TUESDAY, October 9th, I pulled into Orb K, my go-to place for pennies lately, not even thinking about pennies. My favorite parking spot by the giant water grate was taken, and some group must have clandestinely parked around at the end for a day trip to the city. Because all six of those spaces were full. That never happens. At least I snagged the space right next to my favorite space.

How convenient.


I threw open T-Hoe's door, and looked down to make sure of my footing before disembarking. No more gum on the shoe soles for this ol' Val! When I looked out, I spied TWO pennies beside the car in my favorite parking spot. If I'd parked there, I never would have found them, because I'm not in a habit of walking a circle around T-Hoe. I have many idiosyncrasies, but that is not one.


Both were face down, but I'm not complaining! A 1999 on the left, and a 1974 (I think) on the right. The 1974 had been run over a few times (waiting for me to show up and claim it, I'm sure), and had part of the date skinned off. By a process of elimination, I determined the last number to be a 4.

When I returned to T-Hoe, I fiddled for a moment, writing "K" on the back of my scratchers. That's how I tell where they came from, lest I get a good winner, and prefer not to buy another off the same roll of tickets. As I was wallowing in THAT idiosyncrasy, the car in my spot backed out. I glanced that way, having strapped in and put T-Hoe in reverse, and saw...


A THIRD PENNY! Right on that horizontal crack in the blacktop. The area that had been under the car. I most definitely wouldn't have found this penny if I'd parked there.


Alas, it was also face-down. But I stopped T-Hoe, unbuckled my seatbelt, hopped out, and snatched up that 1981 penny anyway! That was the year of my college graduation, by cracky! It was a very good year.
______________________________________________________________________

FRIDAY, October 12th, stopping to get scratchers to tuck into Genius's weekly letter...


I found another penny, in Waterside Mart. This Old Abe was a little long-in-the-tooth! A 1966!


He was face-up, and well-preserved enough that you can read his date if you zoom in.

So it's been a pretty good week for the Future Pennyillionaire Fortune, even if I DON'T have to stop the presses on Saturday!
_________________________________________________________________________

PRESS STOPPAGE ALERT!

Once again, Val has spoken-typed too soon! Here it is, SATURDAY, October 13th, and I've been gifted with a penny while waiting in line at The Gas Station Chicken Store. There was a momentary delay as I drained the Diet Coke fountain down to clear liquid. So the Stern Old Clerk hooked up a new batch of my magical elixir.

While waiting, I saw a man at the counter drop a penny. He turned to leave, and the next guy stepped up, STANDING on that penny.


That's why I'm SURE it was meant for ME. He didn't want it, nor did that lady who sqeezed in behind him, waving a $5 bill for gas, saying she left her baby in the car! Much to the horror of Man Owner, Stern Old Clerk, me, and the waiting chicken people!


Of course it was face-down. A 2013 for Val on Saturday the 13th!

Don't get me wrong about that gas/baby lady. It WAS her rightful turn to pay, so I don't begrudge her jumping to the counter ahead of me. It just seemed like she thought she was getting away with something. Maybe there wasn't even a baby. Maybe she just does this to jump line. But the joke was on her, because it really was her turn.

DON'T LEAVE A BABY IN THE CAR, PEOPLE!
Not even to cut line at The Gas Station Chicken Store.
_________________________________________________________________________

For 2018: Penny  # 106, 107, 108, 109, 110.
For 2018: Dimes still at  # 14.
For 2018: Nickels still at # 4.
For 2018: Quarter still at #1.


Since 2017 (the beginning), this was Penny # 184, 185, 186, 187, 188.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this is still Dime # 20.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this is still Nickel # 4.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this was Quarter #1.
__________________________________________________________________________

6 comments:

  1. I agree with don't leave a baby in a car, but there may have been extenuating circumstances. Perhaps that baby had been up all night screaming with colic or whatever and it was finally sound asleep, you don't want to wake a sleeping baby unnecessarily.
    Anyway, in spite of a slow start to the week, you ended up with quite a haul. 1981 is the year my youngest child was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So 1981 WAS a very good year!

      It's against the law to leave a baby in a car, even if it's sleeping off a colicky night. I'm surprised they don't require it to wear a helmet in the car seat. We have a plethora of legislation to protect us (and babies) from ourselves.

      Delete
  2. Your posts are so centsible, and I know you are going to find a rare coin one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had one the other day. It was dirty, but along the edges it had a rosy kind of glow, less orange than the regular pennies. It was just a 1993. I don't know why the metal looked different.

      Delete
  3. WOW!! At this rate, you should become a pennyillionaire in only two or three hundred years!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I wonder how much pennies will be worth then!

      Delete