Sunday, April 8, 2018

Val Needs to Go into the Crown-Selling Business

What in the Not-Heaven? I have never in my life seen so many ENTITLED people as I've encountered over the past year! Friday was an especially royal day.

I was third in line at Walmart. Lane 6. A skinny little dude with a man bun, in a blue vest, came up to me and said, "Ma'am, you can go to Lane 7, there's a shorter wait."

"Oh. I didn't notice the light on. Thanks."

As I started to wheel my cart over there, a man and woman from Lane 8 wheeled TWO carts into Lane 7 ahead of me. I guess they'd overheard my private conversation with Man Bun. The lady had a cart full of groceries, and a baby in the seat, while the man had a half-full cart. It was apparent that they were together. I rolled my eyes at Man Bun, and in answer to his proclamation that there was a shorter wait, I said,

"Not any more..."

As I came out of Walmart, pushing a cart with some Diet Coke and a few bags, there was a man ahead of me on a beeper cart. He was an unwritten-law-abiding fellow, heading toward the OUT door. Woe was him, though, because he had to slam on his beeper brakes when three gals came at him head-on.

Those three able-bodied women, with bodies abler to fend off starvation than an average woman, stormed right in. One of them threw something away in a trash can outside the doors. It was in the middle between the IN and the OUT. Instead of taking three steps to enter through the IN door, these scoff(unwritten)laws barged into the OUT door. They had the nerve to look at the beeper guy like HE did something wrong. Maybe he did. He didn't run over them.

From Walmart, I headed for The Gas Station Chicken Store. On the newer section of road behind the local high school, I encountered a Road Walker. He was not in my lane, but on the other side, facing the traffic he was walking toward. In fact, a car was coming at him. Do you think he stepped his dainty tootsies off the pavement, onto the five-foot-wide swatch of grass-covered shoulder? Nope. Road Walker stayed in the road.

I got over as close to the edge as I could, because that oncoming car was veering over the center line to accommodate Road Walker's arm-swinging space. It wouldn't do to clip him with a side mirror, you know. Because even though he was in the road, the driver would be frowned upon for not hitting T-Hoe head-on to avoid Road Walker. I don't know this guy's problem. He wasn't a student, because he looked around 20, and it was 11:50 a.m., and he was walking towards the turn-off to the school. He was wearing a backpack and shorts. So I don't think he was a homeless fellow, because they dress warmer in the 52-degree temperature, and generally carry more than a backpack.

As I neared the final downhill to The Gas Station Chicken Store, a dark blue sedan barrelled out of the gravel parking lot of the old can-opener factory. I'm not sure what they make there now, but business appears to be booming. This driver did not even tap the brakes. Did not even swivel his head to see if any oncoming traffic such as myself would broadside him as he entered the road. His passenger didn't look, either! Thank goodness, I still have a reaction time and a knee that bends enough to hit the brake pedal.

IF I could modify my proposed handbasket factory to make crowns on the side...I could have sold 8 crowns Friday! Plus a little baby crown. Well...I'd like to THINK that I could have sold them. But judging from how people behave these days...they would probably expect me to DONATE them. Because they're entitled.

10 comments:

  1. We have a bunch of them in Jersey as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I could sell my "entitled" crowns by mail order...

      Delete
  2. Val--I was in section A for getting into line for my airplane seat going to Istanbul. When they called "group A" everyone got in line. Somehow, I don't think everyone was in group A.

    Then, when we got into the customs line in Istanbul once we landed, there was a line. But most people just got in the middle of the line and elbowed their way in front of all the people who had been waiting.

    Yes, rude people are everywhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might not be so shocking to me there, because, you know, I've SEEN the Amazing Race, and I know that different cultures might have different line-waiting habits.

      Having been raised right here in Backroads, I know that these people's mommas taught them better.

      Delete
  3. Some days you're the pigeon & some days you're the statue--That sounds like a statue day to me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a statue AND a windshield, unable to avoid the pigeons and the bugs.

      Delete
  4. I find it quite sad just how many 'precious princesses' are out there these days, and I'm including men in there, because they certainly aren't acting manly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping my boys are not precious-princessing around, now that they're out from under my thumb!

      Delete
  5. I wonder if this is why I take such pleasure in correcting those who disobey my traffic laws here in the park .... I really want a citation book so I can give out tickets to those stupid enough to cross me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if they can't get a crown, I'm sure those entitled scofflaws can pin a citation to their chest like a badge!

      Delete