Thursday, April 19, 2018

I Don't Mean to Dwell on These Anomalies in My Dwelling

I'm a science teacher, by cracky! Even though retired. I don't like things I can't explain.

I can figure out a Criss Angel stunt in no time. Offer explanations for David Copperfield tricks. But I can't explain why the door of Hick's gun cabinet opened by itself, and KEEPS OPENING WIDER!

I don't live in Grandfather's Mansion at Silver Dollar City. My floors are level. My house is square, not off-kilter. Doors can be opened and closed without incident. A billiard ball placed on the press-down tile will stay in place, not roll away. Has a rift in the Space-Time Continuum opened up under the basement stairs of my homestead?

The heavy glass door on the 1970s stand-up stereo cabinet next to that gun cabinet did not come open and swing wide. What's going on here? Did this little door pop open all at once? Did it swing open slowly, with or without a haunted-house creaking sound? Or did it creep, creep open slowly? So slowly that the eye could not detect motion? There are no vents in that area. No windows. It's not like I create a draft from the speed of my body rushing to the mini fridge.

Here's an even more disconcerting piece of information. That door has opened itself farther over the past 24 hours! Now I have to make a conscious effort to avoid it when I approach the mini fridge. That's how far it has encroached on my space. Now I only have two feet of space to walk, not three.

Seriously. I took another picture Wednesday night, for comparison purposes. To prove to myself that it's not just my imagination.

First picture, taken Tuesday night/early Wednesday, at 12:51 a.m.


Now below, the second picture, taken Wednesday night, at 11:51 p.m. Funny how I'd loaded this on my computer this afternoon, yet when I went to add it to this post, it had disappeared, so I had to do it over.


That door is DEFINITELY open WIDER!!! What's up with that?

Just in case I had the angle wrong when I took the second picture, I decided to compare the pictures from the back side of the door.

Here's the original, although it's a copy, because my New Delly lost it in the files the first time I had gone back to look after saving it. Taken at 12:50 a.m. on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.


Below it the comparison picture I took at 11:50 p.m. on Wednesday night.


Definitely open wider.

What's inside, you might wonder? Only Hick junk. That has no doubt been there since he put the cabinet in 20 years ago.


As far as I can tell, it's an old-style tape recorder. To the best of my memory, Hick had the voices of HOS and The Veteran on there, from when they were little shavers, before I even met them or him. Also looks like more Hick junk. Gloves. Socks. A rain poncho. Some shop towels. And something rolled up in tube form.

Something's just all out-of-whack here. The first set of pictures had one including the mini fridge that was on my phone that night, but gone the next day. Then I had those two original door pictures jump from PICTURES to FILES on my New Delly. Then today I lost one of the newer door pictures (the front side) and had to load it again. AND when I went out to compare the doors around 2:45 today, just in case they had opened even wider (they hadn't), I came back to my office to find that my computer had shut down, and was on that black screen of hope-not-death, counting down 30 seconds to restart itself. Four times while I've been writing this, I've gotten that pink bar up top that says something is wrong and Blogger failed to post or publish.

I'm not a religious person. Not a pray-er. But I won't watch movies like The Exorcist, or have an Ouija Board in my house. I avert my gaze or fast forward if some demon-related pictures pop up on something I'm watching on the History Channel or YouTube. Better safe than sorry. I'm not a ghost hunter, but I don't believe everything you see on those shows is faked.

I believe there are forces we don't understand. I like logic and order in my world, even though you might not think so from the state of my housekeeping. So this weird door-behavior bothers me. What is making those noises upstairs? What opened this door? Is it a sign of good things to come? Or a warning to beware? Is there a battle of good and evil going on here? Why do some of these happenings seem routine to me, yet others frighten me?

All I know is that energy is neither created nor destroyed. It just changes form. Surely there are forms of energy of which we are currently unaware. Imagine telling someone in the 1600s about microwave energy, or television, or cell phones. You'd be burned as a witch!

I don't know when The Pony last noticed this door had opened by itself. But I DO know that I started hearing the recent thumpings on Sunday night, April 15th. More on Tuesday night. I also heard a bunch of them last night in the master bedroom over my dark basement lair, while Hick was gone to an auction. In fact, it started about 45 minutes after he left, and I thought he'd come home early. He hadn't.

Pure coincidence, I'm sure, but let the record show that my dad passed away in the early morning hours of April 15th, 1998.

Go ahead. Cut eyes at each other. Make that twirling motion at your temple with your finger. It won't be the first time. Nor the last.

8 comments:

  1. If you hear a lady with a cartoon voice calling "Come to the light, all welcome" don't listen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to warn me twice! I haven't seen that movie, either.

      Delete
  2. I hope the door opening isn't accompanied by the Twilight Zone theme!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even creepier...it was SILENT! But I DID write the DOO DOO DOO DOO last night in a letter I sent The Pony.

      Delete
  3. Do those doors have handles? Close the door, wrap an elastic band around both handles, similar to child-proof (ha ha) tying and see what happens. Or push the door closed and wedge it in place with something and see what happens. Check behind the stash of Hick junk and see if a kitty cat has made a home there and is getting in and out on little cat feet so you don't notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no handles. I DID close that door last night. So far, it's still closed. Which might mean that whatever was IN there is now roaming the basement!

      Delete
  4. Maybe you have a really active rat??? or some kind of varmint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! Never seen a rat in here. Unless Hick counts. We've had little field mice get in occasionally, under the basement door before Hick fixed it. A mouse couldn't stand up tall enough to push that door open wider the second day, though.

      Delete