Thursday, August 1, 2024

Three Is the Unfairest Number

In the continuing saga of The Little Efficiency Cottage That Could (make Val crazy), Hick has finished putting plywood "cedar siding" on the side where he took out a window, and also on the front, where he said the siding "had some holes in it."

As you surely recall, Val wishes for the whole structure to be one color: white. It only seems right that all four walls of a house should match. However, the monkey wrench in this equation is that The Pony is an equal partner in this venture, financially. Still, that only gives him 1/3 voice in decisions. Usually, The Pony and I agree on matters such as a stove instead of a cooktop, and making this structure a house instead of a garage. That's our common sense gene, which is sometimes questionable in Hick's DNA.

I fear that The Pony has inherited Hick's aesthetic (non)sensibilities. Wednesday, The Pony said he likes the idea of a STAIN applied to those two "cedar siding" walls!!!

Here's the latest picture of the Beauty Shop half of the Double Hovel flip house(s).


"I still think Dad should paint it all white."

"I'm not sure. I personally lean toward a stain like on my back wall, but to be honest, I just like dark colors."

"I think they all should match."

"I feel like this would be decent on it."


Heh, heh! That's a picture of The Pony's back wall! You may recall that I was against that as well, but since The Pony is paying for his house, it wasn't my place to make that decision.

Anyhoo, there's a chance I could be outvoted on my white paint demand! Fair is fair. Majority rules on this project.

Meanwhile, Hick is planning to finish painting on the interior Thursday, get two bar stools to put at the kitchen bar, install the dryer next to the washer in the utility closet in the bedroom, and call a realtor on Friday. 

The end is in sight!

12 comments:

  1. Val, Is there one side and the back of the house still with white siding? I don't know, not seeing this house in person but in looking at the picture of it now, I think either stained or painted white would look nice. If it were me though, I'd prefer all the exterior match, either all with or without the siding but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The two side you can't see are still the white siding! That's why I'm pushing for the white paint on this "cedar siding."

      Delete
  2. I still worry about a house that has a whole wall with no window. I know furniture placement is the problem. But, I have put sofas and chairs and a table under a window. But, no, I do not like the color of that house. Paint it a dark color, not stain it. I know I don't have a vote, but I like to be able to see out all sides of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the only house in the world that has a wall with no window. Some people wouldn't be bothered by it, and might not even notice. I'd prefer a lighter color, rather than dark.

      Delete
    2. Our townhouse only had southern exposure. No window north, east or west. Our current home has no south window either. It is what it is. Nothing to do with furniture placement. We have an add on, 3 season "porch" with windows on east and west only. It's nice for cross breezes, whatever that is, as we rarely open any of our windows due to high pollen counts and humidity. Ranee (MN)

      Delete
    3. We keep our windows closed because of the dust from living on a gravel road. Shades stay closed on the front side anyway, against the afternoon sun.

      People convert their basements into recreational or living areas, and have NO windows! So it's not a big deal to some folks. I figure if people don't like a windowless wall on the Beauty Shop Efficiency Cottage, they don't have to buy it or rent it. Someone else will come along.

      Delete
  3. I see the entire frontage is now plywood and from that photo angle it doesn't look too bad. But I agree it should be painted white, with that tree shading it a dark colour or stain could look gloomy. Do the other sides still have the white siding?
    I don't like The Pony's stained wall either, but it's his house not mine and if he's happy that's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the other two sides still have the white siding. I agree about a dark color being gloomy. As long as The Pony is happy with his dark wall, I'm fine with it. Not my business, we're selling that house to him.

      Delete
  4. Now that I see it all done, I think it doesn't look too bad. It still needs either a stain or paint though. And I don't think you want two of the walls to be one color and the others a different one. And I don't like that huge wall with no windows. But like you say, I ain't payin' for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm pushing for WHITE paint, to match the other two sides of the house.

      I can't believe that every other house in the world has windows on every wall! And if they don't, they sit empty because of people who think they must be able to run from side to side to observe what's going on outside!

      This "window on every wall" concept is something of which I was happily ignorant until this week!

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with you and not because we sare a name! White, it needs to be white and isn't paint cheaper than stain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the prices of paint and stain. Surely Hick would not want to spend an extra dime!

      Delete