Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Just When You Thought It Was Bad Enough

Never underestimate Hick when I comes to bad choices. Oh, he's good with construction knowledge. But aesthetics are his downfall. 

Monday morning, I got a text that elevated my concern for the resale value of the Beauty Shop half of the Double Hovel flip house.


"Sideing [Hick's spelling, not mine] on front corner. We can figure out color when I have it all on"

WAIT A MINUTE!!! ALL ON??? How much more can Hick lower the value on this property?

"What was wrong with the other siding on the front?"

"It had some holes in it"

Huh. That's news to me! I thought it was fine.

Now we are looking at TWO sides of that little "efficiency cottage" having different siding from the others. I doubt Hick would have gone to this trouble if he just left it as a garage. But drawing attention to an exterior that is not the same for all four sides does not bode well for the asking price. Says Val, an expert in real estate value...

Please, PLEASE let Hick listen to reason for painting that "cedar siding" white, like the rest of that little efficiency cottage!

It boggles my mind to put all this work and money into such a property, and then cut corners at the end, just for Hick's ego.

12 comments:

  1. Yikes! At least have it all cedar siding or not. That looks a hot mess right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a hotter mess before Hick did any work on it. The cedar siding is doing it no favors. Painted white, it might be tolerable.

      Delete
  2. On the plus side Val, I love the windows, door and roof. I've always wondered though, how loud is the rain hitting that metal roof? Still, the roof looks nice. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The windows, door, and roof are definite upgrades compared to its original condition. I especially like the red door.

      We've had a metal roof on our house since hail damaged the shingled one many years ago. You don't even hear the rain on it. There's a layer of insulation under the metal. It DOES interfere with our cell phone reception out here in the middle of nowhere. I can't get a signal in the garage, which also has a metal roof. Certain areas of the house are used when we need to hear an important call.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, another unfortunate choice! I think a little porch, just deccking would make the front look more inviting. I would also do a little strategic landscaping to hide and enhance. We are in a campground tonight that is quite nice. Looks like they spent a pretty penny on landscaping with nice cement pads for a picnic table and asphalt pads to park on. They have a small fortune invested in shrubbery and trees. All new picnic tables, too. But the grass is overgrown and taking over the mulched area and growing up through the shrubs. So sad that they fail to maintain it. They should at the very least cut the grass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the very least, Hick could tear out that wilted vegetation, and put in a tasteful rock garden. He's done it here.

      Maybe that campground doesn't realize they are hosting a former campground owner!

      Delete
  4. I worry now that he will rip off all the white siding and put up cedar boards. I HOPE he will at least paint them white to match the siding if he leaves it on. The walkway railings to the house could also be painted white?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, Hick SAYS he will paint those walls white. His other plan was black, to match the roof!!! I will suggest the idea of white paint for the railings. He says the window trim will be black. I'm okay with that, because it would be hard to match the red color of the door.

      Delete
  5. Well it sounds like you've made *some* progress if Hick has promised to paint that *plywood* white. But still . . . I think he needs a new class of "buddies".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "promise" from Hick is not always a sure thing. Recollections may vary...

      I'm not so sure the buddies think it actually looks good, so much as they are YES MEN for whatever Hick suggests.

      Delete
  6. Wasn't that a Stones song? "I see some cedar shake and I want it painted white."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I'm pretty sure that was the red door, and I DON'T want it painted black!

      Delete