Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Not Such a Beauty, But Surely Efficient

Hick is making progress on the Beauty Shop half of the Double Hovel flip house(s). This month he's gotten the kitchen mostly ready. It still needs some "dry mudding," and paint. Don't even ask about the dry mudding. I assume that is to patch some holes or crevices before painting.

With such limited space, Hick has trouble finding room to keep his tools. On July 2, he and Old Buddy put in the upper kitchen cabinets.


I'm sure you see what I mean about the tools.

July 11 was a productive day. The lower cabinets, countertop, and sink went in.


The lower cabinets were the right size, though not an exact match. A stain will help with the color. Also, the floor installation was underway here.


Here's the "breakfast bar" that will serve for eating, since the place isn't really big enough for a kitchen table. Not if the resident wants to have a living room. Obviously, the door to the bedroom needs paint (and a doorknob). The other stuff in there is the flooring material.


The finished floor. It's coming along. Just waiting for a stove...


At last! The $150 stove has been installed, as of July 18, and is working. The kitchen sink has its hardware, and the water has been turned on. I told Hick I think that refrigerator door is awkward, and needs to open the other way, but he said it would hit the wall. Efficiency-renters can't be choosers, I suppose.

Here was another bone of contention: stove versus cooktop. Hick originally planned on a cooktop, and a microwave. I think his reasoning was to get more cabinet space. I disagreed. Anybody who rents/lives in an efficiency unit is like to be young and single, or maybe a mom with a toddler. They need an oven, by cracky! Nobody wants pizza, fries, or fish sticks warmed in a microwave! Think about what the resident would be eating. The Pony agreed with me. So we won the stove battle. It's easier for the resident to provide their own microwave than a stove.

Hick was hoping to be finished by the end of July. Not so sure that will happen. Old Buddy "texted in sick" on Monday. Hick was going to try doing a few things himself.

It's not the Taj Mahal. It's an efficiency cottage. Making the Double Hovel property more enticing to a buyer than just a garage to go with the main house. It's an income-producer to help with the mortgage payments.

10 comments:

  1. That stove looks just like mine. There must be millions of these types of stoves because I see them everywhere. I agree with you on the refrigerator but understand what Hick means also. We have a galley style kitchen. My refrigerator is between the cupboards/counter and a wall. It opens for easy access IE left to right. However, I can't get the bottom crisper drawer out. The door opens flush with the wall, and I can't get it past that point, so I can remove the drawer. When I clean the bottom crispers and shelf, I have to remove everything else and then force/maneuver that drawer out. I'm aways afraid I'm going to crack or break it. It's a real PITA. It's a rather large refrigerator and when the time comes that we need to replace it, I am not only going for a smaller size, but I may also go to a bottom freezer drawer, instead. (It does look like there might be an inch or so between the refrigerator and stove that it could move a bit to the right - I could see me jamming my fingers or hand into the wall, reaching for the handle, but is there some rule about a refrigerator being right next to a stove. Does the side of a stove get hot in todays products or are they better insulated?) Hmm...Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose it would be even more inconvenient if that refrigerator door didn't open all the way. I don't think Hick would move it up against the stove to save an inch.

      If there was a code about their proximity, Hick would not install it this way. I believe The Pony's stove is next to his refrigerator, also. Hopefully the sides of a stove don't get TOO hot, or it could burn up cabinets where its installed!

      Delete
    2. That might have been a concern from the past. My guess is that the appliances are all insulated better to preserve energy. At least I'd like to think so. Ranee

      Delete
    3. I'd like to think so, too!

      Delete
  2. I think it's looking really cute. Did you ever see how much room there is in those tiny homes? I'd rather live in this Beauty shop efficiency. I think it has more room and a better layout. This would work perfectly for overnight guests too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to watch those tiny home shows all the time. I thought that if I was a slim and limber college student, I might be able to live in one for a couple of years. But none of that loft mattress bed kind of room! Who wants a bedroom where they can't even stand up to get dressed? It would make more sense to have the bed downstairs, and a TV room upstairs.

      This Efficiency Cottage could also be a mother-in-law house. Or home for a family's young adult just moving out with a first job, learning to cover expenses on a budget.

      Delete
  3. The kitchen looks really good, I like the cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the upper cabinets might have come out of the QuickFlip house, because that old lady wanted to update her kitchen. The lower cabinets with countertop and sink came from a guy Hick found on Facebook.

      Delete
  4. Tommy's refrigerator door hinge is next to the wall. The door will not open for access to the crisper drawer on the side. It is a pain to deal with. Then, the stove is on the side of refrigerator is next door handle. There is a six-inch bit of counter and doors as a buffer to heat of stove. I want the refrigerator on another empty wall, not jammed in awkward space. I agree on having an oven. It is all coming together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FRIG II here is on a separate wall from the stove. So I'm spoiled by having my doors open all the way! I guess Hick is right in leaving this refrigerator with the door opening the other way. At least it will open. And yes, I'd hate to think I had to cook without an oven.

      Delete