Thursday, March 2, 2023

He's Baaaaaaaack!

Hick is back home! Can you believe that? Got out of surgery at 3:00 on Monday afternoon, and by 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, they were ready to kick him out! Is it just me, or does that seem like an extremely short time to supervise somebody who just had his back sliced open, and pins and plates inserted? My best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel said she had two weeks in rehab with a knee replacement. She was shocked by Hick's early realease.

Well. Now I know how they do it. They depend on VAL to be a nurse! I'm not complaining about taking care of Hick. I'm complaining about trusting someone (even as brilliant as myself!) to tend to a patient's needs after surgery!

Nobody was expecting Hick to come home so soon. The Veteran was on a camping trip. He had said to let him know, and he could still travel the extra distance to pick up Hick. However, he did not have cell service in some areas. And then when he got the message, his truck had been towed for repairs due to a bearing issue while pulling his camper.

The Pony had no idea Hick was getting out. In fact, he had sent me a text saying he had the "nice" manager on Wednesday, and could get off if Hick needed him. When told that Hick was trying to reach The Veteran, The Pony said to let Hick know he could do it. However, Hick waited another 30 minutes to contact The Pony, and by that time a worker had been sent home due to no work. So... The Pony had to rush and try to finish his route in time to fetch Hick.

Hick said the staff was not kicking him out, nor charging him an extra day. They could wait until he had a ride. Hick was hoping The Pony could get there by 3:00. That way, he would have time to pick up his controlled-substance medication before the pharmacy closed. He didn't think they would release them to me. You know how everybody can get painkillers except patients who need them after surgery...

When I told The Pony that Hick didn't have any means to pay, and that he would have to buy the meds, he said, "Won't he need ID? Which you have in his billfold along with his debit card." So I said I could meet them in town with it.

Anyhoo... The Pony rushed, and then got a little help from the sent-home guy they had called back in for the afternoon. So he left at 1:30, and arrived at the hospital at 2:45. Hick was alone in his room, and they couldn't get somebody to discharge him until 3:45. They got home around 5:30.

The Pony came in to make sure Hick had a clear path for his walker. Moved a couple pairs of shoes out from the front of his recliner. Took Hick's camouflage Crocs out to the car so Hick could walk in. Putting on shoes at the hospital had been too uncomfortable for him.

Oh... while all this was going on, I had gone to town to pick up Hick's diabetes medication refill. I asked about the other prescriptions. The NICE lady said they were filling two right then, and that the diabetes med was in the cooler. She said I COULD pick up the painkillers for Hick. She said I could wait 20 minutes, but I said I'd come back later to get all three. I'm not good at standing around.

Of course that was at 12:30. The pharmacy is closed from 1:30 to 2:00 every day. So after my other errands, it was 2:15. I went in and saw a young whippersnapper gal who said she didn't see any prescriptions for Hick! I reminded her that one was in the cooler. She said, "Okay, just the one?"

"No. There are at least three. That's what the lady told me around noon."

YWG kept looking at her computer screen, as if those meds would appear. Finally I said,

"I wish I could talk to the lady who was here earlier and told me they were filling them."

YWG turned to look over the high counter. Back to the screen. Back to the counter. And said, "She's talking to someone else right now."

After an awkward bout of us both standing there doing nothing, another lady came out. NOT the one I'd talked to before. But obviously higher-up. She was cordial. I explained my plight. She looked it up on the computer.

"There is the diabetes med in the cooler. And the painkiller."

"There should be a muscle relaxer. The doctor said that was even more important."

"Oh. I see here. We didn't fill it. It needs prior authorization. Do you know what that means?"

"That I'm not getting it? He has to have that TODAY. He's on his way home from the hospital after back surgery."

"Let me look it up and see what it costs. The insurance is refusing it. We put in a call to the doctor but haven't heard back. You can pay for it and still get it. I'll see if he has any discounts."

"Well, it doesn't matter what it costs. He HAS to have it today. So if we have to go in debt, we'll go in debt." Maybe that was a bit dramatic. I know we have funds available to cover a considerable amount.

"Oh. Here it is. It will be $35."

SHEESH! All that drama for $35? Did she think I was a pauper? Anyhoo... then they had to fill it, so I had to awkwardly wait some more. Then I got all three meds and left.

When Hick got home, he said the hospital said the doctor had called to authorize it, but they told him I already paid. Sometimes the only way the left hand knows what the right hand is doing is when they are thumbwrestling! And I was the loser!

Anyhoo... Hick is home, not feeling his best, and I am an unpaid healthcare worker.

18 comments:

  1. That is waaayyy too soon to send him home but it seems like that's just the way it is now. My mother had a mastectomy about eight years ago and they sent her home the same day. I hope he starts to feel better soon and that you don't wear yourself out taking care of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick was told it would be 3-4 days in the hospital, and that he wouldn't need to go to a rehab facility to recover. He came out of surgery at 3:00, spent the next day in the hospital, then was told before 10:00 the following morning that they were sending him home. So I DO feel that was too early. I was not prepared to care for him 24 hours a day! I slept one hour and 10 minutes last night.

      Delete
  2. I work for an Ortho in Canada (so our surgeries are covered) and knee patients post covid were lucky to even get one night. They have turned knee replacements here into same day, and patients are told this - so they could have given you the heads up at least!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even The Pony and The Veteran, after seeing Hick post-surgery, said, "No way is he going to be ready to come home after three days." Yet they sent him after what they call two! He had to call the doctor the morning after he came home, due to pain and weakness. Had I known, we would have tried to get The Pony to stay with us for a couple days. He is young, and moving things and fetching are easy on him.

      Delete
    2. Oh man! Pony would've been so helpful, I hope you get more sleep tonight!

      Delete
    3. So far, I fell asleep on the couch for three hours last night, then got two more hours in bed from 8-10 a.m. So this is the most I've had for a few days!

      Delete
  3. Wait till I tell you what happens here, or what used to happen back when I had surgeries. After minor surgery you leave the hospital with a prescription which you fill at the in hospital pharmacy on your way out. If you are leaving after major surgery and are prescribed meds that absolutely must be taken upon arriving home, the hospital makes sure you have those when you are leaving. Of course that might be different now for public hospitals, but I'm pretty sure the private ones still do it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when we had the option of stopping by the hospital pharmacy, or taking the paper scrip to our own pharmacy. I don't know if Hick had such a choice up there. Now everything is faxed or emailed, it seems.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if universal healthcare would work better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know all that it entails, so I don't have a qualified answer.

      Delete
  5. i thought it was bad when our pharmacy put in my address as a town in Ohio or somewhere that direction when I got my Covid vaccine. Argued up and down with three people.
    THEN, my new doctor asked what I had laproscopic surgery for in 2015. I said, "I haven't had any surgeries since 1990s. Sheesh, you have to be your own advocate. I said, "Remove that from my records, please." Hmmm, diod she? I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take your word that you are not living a double life...

      Yes, you definitely must stick up for yourself these days, and double-check what is done to you!

      Delete
  6. I was shocked when they sent The Patient home the next day after they yanked his femoral artery out and a cow vein sewn in. Especially given our location in a small town so far away from the hospital. The abcess and the raging infection was an 8 day stay that we haven't seen the bill for yet ... I think they send patients home too quickly, although I was also taking care of mine in the hospital until he made the mistake of saying my voice annoyed him. I thought his nurse might cry when I left!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Hick got sent home early by a unanimous nurses' vote! He doesn't have any cow parts, but does have cadaver pieces. Just what I need, someone else to haunt this house!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Cadaver bone. I'm not sure if they used it in place of metal plates, or in conjuction with. I know Hick has metal plates in his neck. Not sure about his lower back. But he does have screws, because he said they used "Stick Tight" or something, so they won't come unscrewed.

      Delete
    2. That's all you need, for hick to suddenly become unscrewed!!

      Delete
    3. I'm worried about stepping on those pieces that drop on the floor!

      Delete