Friday, March 10, 2023

The Hick Report

Hick was picked up by his buddy for a trip to the doctor on Thursday. Off he went in tan cargo shorts, braided belt, long-sleeve black t-shirt, back brace, ankle socks with a hole in the right big toe area, and camouflage Crocs. At least being unable to bend means that he does NOT wear the strap behind his heel! 

It was my bedtime when Hick got himself ready. I really should have supervised his attire a bit more closely. I saw the shirt. Put on his socks and questioned the hole, but was told it wouldn't matter, because they'd be in his Crocs. I had laid out shorts that I had washed the day before, assuming he would wear them and not the ones he wore to the blood draw on Tuesday.

When I got home, Hick was hobbling across the kitchen as if in a hurry when I got the door unlocked.

"I was coming to let you in."

"I have a key. Did you pee on your pants?"

"What? No."

"There's two spots on the leg."

"Oh. These shorts have always had a spot."

"And you wore THOSE to the doctor?"

"Yes. It don't matter."

It does to me! I'm sure other people assumed Hick had peed his pants, seeing him doddering through the medical facility with his walker! 

Anyhoo... Hick said the doctor was happy with his progress. Said everything looked good, and that he could resume his regular activities. Not to overdo bending and twisting, don't lift more than 15 pounds, go slow if using the riding lawnmower, driving allowed as long as not on the painkillers. No walker or cane needed if he feels comfortable without them.

"Did you and your buddy stop for lunch like you planned?"

"No. He didn't want any lunch."

"Did you give him gas money?"

"I bought his gas. He said he needed to fill up, so I went in and paid. About $35."

"So you haven't eaten since breakfast?"

"No."

"Do you want a sandwich?"

"Yeah. That would be good."

I'm sure it would be good. Having someone else make it for you, when you've been released to resume regular activities! Not sure why Hick couldn't feed himself before I got home. It was 4:00! 

As you might imagine, the Hick previously known as "invalid" is planning a big day on Friday, starting with his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2), then lunch at the Senior Center, then shooting the bull and chewing the fat with his cronies at a local business owned by one of them. I hope he doesn't overdo it.

Hick says he will come home if he gets tired. I think he should ease into these activities, but there's no telling Hick what to do.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! It's an acquired taste, I think...

      Delete
  2. I think he should have stopped at the Senior Center for lunch on his way home, even if lunch was over he could have maybe got a box of leftovers so you didn't have to make him a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sitting down? Hick made his own breakfast on Thursday! Now that he's acting like he's able to do everything in his routine again, his gravy train is going to dry up. Suppers will be made, but he's on his own for the rest. I hope Casey's didn't run out of donuts this morning!

      Delete
  3. My ex used to say, "I didn't eat all day." I'd remark, "How many fast food restaurants did you pass?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our neighbor, a former classmate of Hick, said one time that he almost starved waiting for his wife to get home from work and make him a bowl of soup. He got off work an hour earlier than her. She made his soup, and was then outside mowing their yard/field on the riding mower.

      Delete
  4. I usually prepare the food here, simply because I don't enjoy cleaning up after him. If he does attempt to clean up, he makes such a big deal out of it, asking me to go look at the kitchen. I do, then wonder if I should point all the ways in which he failed to do a thorough job. Mostly, I just re-do the job. He tends to not clean the plates or the cutlery to my satisfaction. Before you think my standards to be unachievable, just know that you would send your silver back to the kitchen in a restaurant ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make me less testy (heh, heh, I said TESTY) if Hick would just come right out and say, "I'm tired. Could you please make me a sandwich?" Rather than skipping a meal, or even worse, replying "IF YOU WANT TO" when I ask if he wants me to make him something.

      Delete