Friday, March 3, 2023

Val Gets a Workout in the Hicknasium

In typical Val fashion, it is time to take the spotlight off Hick, and turn it on to HER! I am not minimizing Hick's pain. I know it is real. He had major surgery, and will feel worse before he feels better. However... VAL sees no end in sight!

Hick went to bed at 8:00 on Wednesday night. I had to help him into bed, because he can't twist or turn or bend. Couldn't get his legs up in the bed. I had to reach the covers and pull them over him. Turn on his breather. Make sure the sucky thing attached by a tube in his back was behind him, not twisted or under him. Every time he had to get up, I had to do those duties for him. I don't begrudge him my help, but it is exhausting. I slept not at all during the night. 

At one point, I had to go in and pull the fitted sheet and mattress cover back into place, as he had it bunched up under him. How a man who doesn't move did that, I don't know. I am also in charge of scheduling his pain pill every 4 hours, and his muscle relaxer every 6 hours. And making sure he has ice water in his cup. Thankfully, Hick can ambulate with a walker, and takes himself to the bathroom, or uses his urinal jug, which he empties for himself. So he's not taking advantage of me. He just needs a lot of care right now.

Making breakfast, lunch, and supper, then carrying it to him, then removing his plates, is also quite a task. Usually we do our own breakfast and lunch, and I am only responsible for supper.

Thursday morning, Hick called the surgeon because he said the pain in his legs was 12/10. That the pain meds took away the back pain, but his legs were on fire. Mainly the back of his thighs, but pretty much his whole legs. The nurse practitioner had told him, upon discharge, that if the pain (which he already told her about) was still as bad or worse on Friday, to call and she would call in a steroid for him. The doctor had said that poking around in the nerves kind of irritates them.

Anyhoo... Hick couldn't wait until Friday. At 8:30, he called. The guy nurse who answered was quite understanding, and said he would get that done. He called back at 9:30, asked a couple questions about allergies, and then sent the prescription. Shortly after noon, the pharmacy said it was ready. So off to town went Val to pick it up. Quite refreshed (that's a lie) by the nap she had from 10:45 to 11:55.

Let's hope the steroid reduces Hick's leg pain. The heavy sighs are exhausting me! He's supposed to get up every 30 to 45 minutes and walk around. That doesn't seem to be happening, though with goading, he agrees to take a spin around the inside of our Mansion every hour to 90 minutes. This morning he took one walk down to the end of the porch, but did not venture outside again. I guess I'll remind him that the more he can do, the more he can do! He's not going to recover by sitting in a recliner sighing. He said he asked about riding a stationary bike, or walking on a treadmill, and they said NO!

Hick's follow-up appointment is next Thursday. He's going to ask one of his cronies to take him, so The Pony doesn't have to miss more work. I plan on climbing into bed and snoring.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds so familiar to me! I hope the steroid calms those nerves, for your sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a while they calmed the nerves. But excited the patient! Like crack in a cardboard blister-pack!

      Delete
  2. I can see how this would be exhausting and is the main reason I think he should have stayed in hospital a couple of extra days. at least in there he would get the steroid immediately AND they would make sure he is walking around every half hour or so.
    And you would get a much deserved rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Hick didn't discharge himself from the hospital, so I can't fault him for that. But perhaps he could consolidate some of the things he asks for, so I'm not getting up every half hour to do something for him. Here's a thought! He could get some things for himself WHILE HE'S UP EVERY 30 MINUTES like they advised him!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. He has been getting his own water today. So there's that...

      Delete