Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Val is NOT Competing for Invalid of the Month. Really.

Day 2 of my paper cut. 

It's annoying. Just when I forget about it, I flip on a light switch, and I'm reminded that I am injured! It's on my right index finger, on the side, between my fingernail knuckle and the middle knuckle. Prime light-switching territory. 

It also hurts in the hot dishwater. Which has to be REALLY HOT for the cut-rate faux Dawn dishwashing liquid Hick got me 8 bottles of for free to work semi-efficiently.

Since I sliced my finger on the flap of the envelope from the electric company, billing for Hick's SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2), I find it only fair to blame Hick for my injury. I take no responsibility! I was using a letter-opener in the correct manner, but the edge of the flap was not sealed, and it was just lying in wait for my finger to brush against it!

Or I suppose I could sue the electric company for faulty envelope flaps. Might sound far-fetched, but just this morning (meaning 12:25 p.m.) I read about a guy with a lawsuit against Buffalo Wild Wings because their boneless wings are not really wings, but actually made from breast meat. He's saying it caused him financial harm. I guess because he paid for WINGS, when BREASTS are cheaper now.

Anyhoo... while I am feeling partially disabled, Hick is still on the mend. No fever yesterday. Didn't take his temperature today. He went to eat at the Senior Center. The menu was: Salmon Patty, 5 Way Vegetables, Roll, Cherry Delight. He didn't comment much about it, but brought home the March newsletter showing the menu.

On the way to town, I dropped Hick off at Mick the Mechanic's to pick up SilverRedO, who had been there two weeks getting his brakes fixed. So obviously Hick is able to climb in and out of T-Hoe and SilverRedO. He has been taking his pain meds and muscle relaxer only in the afternoon, and again at bedtime.

Not sure if this is really an indication of less pain, or more an indication that Hick likes to get out of the house and roam around during the day...

10 comments:

  1. Our ancient school nurse swore you could heal a paper cut overnight if you wrapped it with a strip of wet white cotton material and left it on while you slept. Actually, it worked,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try that tonight. It might be too late for me, since a scab has formed. It feels like it comes open every time I hit a light switch.

      Delete
  2. I find that a bandaid helps, but I always get it wet doing dishes and cooking, but I will try Linda's remedy for sure. I am always open to suggestion, you might recall I slathered my body with Pepto Bismol in an attempt to thwart poison ivy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not remember your Pepto Bismol trick. At least it's the same general color as calamine lotion!

      I didn't think of a bandaid, because it didn't bleed except for a paper-thin (heh, heh) seepage upon initial injury. I will give Linda's suggestion a try next time I have a fresh paper cut. Oh, I'm sure there will be a next time!

      Delete
  3. Did you disinfect the paper cut immediately it happened? If not then do it now. Right now. Then just leave it alone and by tomorrow it should be fine. Not fully healed, but not hurting either. The hot soapy dishwater is also cleaning it so it shouldn't get infected. If there is a loose flap of skin you can clip that away with nail scissors or clippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not. How dirty could the mail be? Don't answer that! I'm not asking The Pony. It is closed up again right now, so no immediate disinfecting. No loose skin. Just a surgical incision.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I see by your comment to Linda that it already has a scab. No further action is required, certainly not a wet wrap. Just leave it alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will leave it alone for now. I skipped the dishwashing tonight, since we had chicken patty sandwiches, with slaw and fries, on paper plates. Silverware can wait. So maybe it will stay closed, without the dishwater to soak it open.

      Delete
  5. Remember merthiolate? It was orange colored and stung like all holy hell, but the next day the pain was gone. Iodine, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO remember merthiolate! Mainly the color, and a little bit the sting, but not the vanishing pain. I guess because it was gone, I didn't think about it!

      Delete