Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Two-Trick Pony

I declare! The piper has more hands than that Indian deity with a whole passel of arms!

Monday, I found an envelope for The Pony in EmBee. It was from the USPS accounting center. Which you might recall billed The Pony earlier this month for some continuation-of-pay that he received before his Worker's Comp claim was denied and closed. He paid it back with his debit card, while professing that he thought it would be MORE. The Pony thought he got more weeks of pay when he was first injured.

Anyhoo... I sent The Pony a text: 

"You got a letter from the USPS accounting center. They might want the rest of their money!"

Of course it was around 4:30, and The Pony was still working. I could see that The Pony read the text, but he didn't reply. So I set the letter on the kitchen counter, where I put the scratchers I buy for him every day when I get mine. But first, I slit open that envelope with my letter opener. I didn't read it. It's not my business until The Pony shares it with me. But I purely loathe watching him, and seeing the aftermath, of an envelope he's ripped open. You'd think somebody who works with the mail would be more adept at getting it open!

Anyhoo... once The Pony got home around 7:00, he checked that letter. It was indeed a statement from the USPS accounting center, showing the payment he had made previously, and touting a  new balance of $0. That's right. They sent a return envelope, and a bill for $0. Not that The Pony is complaining.

Anyhoo... The Pony then got to scratching! I had given him a $1 ticket and a new $2 ticket. He shoved the $1 ticket across the cutting block at me.

"I won."

"HOW do you do that? I can't win ANYTHING on those little tickets! Seems like you always win."

"It's just a ticket, but it's a winner."

"Yeah. They count it as a dollar. I can apply it to a bigger ticket."

"I JUST WON A HUNDRED DOLLARS."

"NO WAY!"
 
 
Yes way! The Pony did indeed uncover the $100 symbol on the new $2 ticket. Funny how I can buy those little winners FOR HIM, but I can't win on them myself.
 
Not only did The Pony get a bill for $0, but he won $101 on scratchers I gave him. Even Steven still has some more EVEN-ING to do with that Worker's Comp claim. But this is a demonstration of good faith.

8 comments:

  1. I almost never win a scratcher. Then I almost never play them so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've just made a connection to your lack of luck...

      Delete
  2. Gambling is a sin. Well, it is in my house where the most I ever win is $4. Course, that's the Quick Pick on the Powerball. I haven't figured out the scratchers yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoken like Margaret White, Carrie's mother in the original 1976 version of the Stephen King classic! Nobody can play a holy-rollin' fanatic like Piper Laurie!

      I don't play the draw tickets, because it's too hard to win...

      Delete
  3. Even Steven needs to pop downunder for a few days, if that's alright with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fine with me. Since he's not benefiting me at the moment, he might as well benefit YOU! Hope he doesn't get peeved about being in quarantine. That would not bode well for an EVEN-ing.

      Delete
  4. Maybe, just maybe I might win if you bought my ticket and let the Pony do the scratching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have DOUBLE the luck! Today I bought The Pony a different $2 ticket, and he won $40 on it!!!

      Delete