Monday, November 8, 2021

Things That Go THUMP-BUMP-A-DUMP In the Early Morning

I have been fighting a double ear infection for the past two weeks. Convenient Care has me on antibiotics, but I'm on my own for pain. It has lessened since I started the meds, but I've had little sleep for a while. Any time I can get comfortable, I am loathe to move, lest the pain return. 
 
My OPC (Old People Chair) keeps my head semi upright. It is heated, and I have a fleece throw that I won at one of my sister the ex-ex-mayor's wife's Christmas Eve games. For the last couple nights, I've been able to catch 4 hours of consecutive sleep!
 
Saturday night, I ventured out to my OPC around 2:30 a.m. Which was really 1:30 a.m., due to the end of Daylight Savings Time. I set my clock back in my lair, and also the one in the basement that I can see from my OPC. I settled down with the fleece up to my chin, and watched several episodes of Ridiculousness. It always takes my mind off stuff, making me relieved that I have not been caught maiming myself by someone's cell phone.
 
Sometime around 3:30, after a bathroom break, and checking to see if any good movies were on, I drifted off to sleep, snug as a slug in a fleece, in my OPC. 

THUMP-BUMP-A-DUMPITY-DUMP-DUMP!!!

I was startled out of a lovely dream in which I'd been picked up by friends along the side of the road, leaving The Pony to drive a school bus home, and taken to a delicious buffet with a prime rib the size of the Flintstones rack of brontosaurus ribs, a roasted pig head, assorted side dishes, and desserts of a giant block of chocolate, and a mountain of chocolate mousse. I think these dreams might be a side effect of my antibiotic...

Anyhoo... I looked at the clock. It was five minutes to 7:00. I was anxious and upset, because that sound came from over my head. I was afraid The Pony might have fallen in the shower. Or knocked off every cleansing product he had into the tub. Or maybe the noise came from The Pony's bedroom, also overhead. Perhaps he had fallen while trying to get out of bed. I was very worried about The Pony. But not worried enough to crawl out of my warm OPC and ascend the 13 rail-less wooden stairs to knock on his door, and perhaps wake him too early to get ready for work. He still had another half hour he could sleep. Sleeeeeeep. I drifted off again.

I next awoke at 9:05. I was a half-hour late for my antibiotic. No big deal. I took it. I went upstairs. Hick was gone to his Storage Unit Store, and The Pony was at work. I walked into the master bathroom, and was annoyed that Hick had closed the door to our walk-in closet. We never close it. What shenanigans was he up to now? I pushed the door to open it. PUSHED the door. It didn't want to move! Something was behind it! I turned on the closet light, and leaned on the door, and poked my nose through the crack. 

THE ENTIRE RACK OF HICK'S CLOTHES, AND THE SHELF ABOVE IT, WERE ON THE FLOOR! 

A couple of boxes blocked the door from opening. I could see that one held record albums! I could reach my arm far enough to grab my town clothes. But that door was not about to open. I sent Hick a text about the tragedy. He said, "That's odd. I'll fix it when I get home."

Which he DID, around 4:00. Until 5:00. A bolt holding the clothes rack had sheared off, bringing down all the hanging clothes, and everything on the shelf above. 

When The Pony got home around 5:15, I told him of the situation, and that he was lucky Hick was done with repairs, or his nightly soak in the big triangle tub in the master bathroom might have been delayed! The Pony was relieved. And had this to say:

"I heard a big crash this morning around 7:00. Like a lot of stuff falling. I got up and looked in my bathroom. That's where it sounded like it came from. I came out to the living room, but didn't see anything messed up there. I even came down the steps to make sure you were okay in your chair. You were asleep. So I went back to bed until time to get up."

Hick said, "It must have happened right after I left."

Funny that Hick's falling wardrobe and collectibles on our end of the house sounded to me and The Pony like it was on the opposite end of the house. IF that's what we both heard...

8 comments:

  1. When you live in the remote Missouri woods you can expect night-time visits from Satanic werewolves and vampires and ogres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They better look out for the meth-trafficking bikers driving around with a headless body in search of a septic tank to dump it!

      Delete
  2. Must have been too much weight on it, I hope Hick used stronger bolts when fixing it.
    I think The Pony deserves an extra five minutes in the tub for coming down to check on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It only lasted 23 years with the same stuff on it! I do need to thank The Pony for his concern. I was going to offer to make his supper while he was on the way home, but he had the nerve to grab a pizza with somebody when he got off work!

      Delete
  3. Grabbing a pizza with somebody = independence. The Pony is beginning to loosen the apron strings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony would be twirling those apron strings over his head like a rodeo cowboy, but his friends are scattered across Oklahoma and Texas. So he's had nobody to be spontaneously independent with around here until now.

      Delete
  4. At least the things that went bump in the night were accounted for. Sometimes I hear unaccountable strange noises and the cat stares BEHIND me, which makes me a nervous Nellie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear things in The Pony's room almost every morning, after he and Hick have both left the house. I guess whatever was in Genius's room has moved across the hall, because I don't hear much from there any more.

      Delete