Thursday, November 4, 2021

Hopefully, It's Not a Portent of His Eventual Destination

Hick stepped out on the front porch Wednesday evening to deposit a stool. A fake-leather-covered round-backed bar stool that's been in the basement for as long as we've lived here. He got a set of four when his old factory was clearing out junk. Which he was in charge of. Not that his old factory had a bar. It made saw blades for butchers, same as his newer factory.

Anyhoo... Hick came lugging that tall stool up the basement steps, plopping it down on each of the 13 steps ahead of his feet.

"Dad. WHY are you bring that stool up here?"

"I'm taking it up to my storage locker. I need something to sit on behind my counter."

"I hope you don't leave it right there! I won't be able to get down the steps!"

"I'm not. I'm putting it out on the porch, then into my truck." Hick opened the front door. "It stinks out here! Smells like SULFUR!" He closed the door. The Pony and I cut eyes at each other.

"What in the Not-Heaven? WHY would it smell like sulfur?"

"That's the rotten egg smell."

"I KNOW that. They put it in gas, too, so you can tell a leak."

"We don't HAVE gas, Mom."

"I KNOW that! But a neighbor might have a propane leak."

The Pony went to check the level of the bath water he was running in the big triangle tub in the master bathroom.

"Whew! That STINKS! Don't you smell it, Pony?"

"No. I sometimes smell it when I first start running the water. From the drain. But I don't smell it now. Oh, wait! Here in the living room I smell it."

"Yeah. Dad was fanning the door as he took out his stool. WAIT A MINUTE! A few days ago, I cleaned out FRIG II, and threw three old eggs off the back porch. One of them broke. Not the other two. I wonder if the dogs brought them around. You know how they are. Juno used to carry the chicken eggs around in her mouth."

"That could be it! The dogs might have bit into the rotten eggs in the yard or on the porch."

We have not yet investigated. Nor have I told Hick of the dog possibility.

6 comments:

  1. I have a theory or two about that, er, odor but I think I'll keep them to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to guess that your theory might involve Hick, and the fanning of the door...

      Delete
  2. "Hick stepped out on the front porch Wednesday evening to deposit a stool"

    Well that got my 13-yearold-self a giggling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. You know that Val is always looking out for your 13-year-old self.

      Delete
  3. joeh beat me to it, ha ha.
    I never throw old eggs into the yard here, imagine the hoo-ha if I did. Since my neighbours are all so close and would put up a stink of their own if crows and magpies broke open the eggs. I put too-old eggs in the freezer, then put them in the bin on collection day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta get up pretty early on the other side of the world to beat joeh to a witty comment. Though my vast knowledge of world geography tells me that you're actually a day ahead of us. So maybe my posting at 1:00 p.m. here delays your ability to comment.

      Tsk, tsk! I think I once informed you of what HOO-HA is a slang term for here!

      Imagine if you threw out your rotten eggs and HIT SOMEBODY walking by! That can't happen in my back yard. Sometimes our weekly collection day is mysteriously ignored by our collection company. Sometimes twice in a row. They would deserve what they collected if I had rotten eggs in the dumpster.

      Delete