Saturday, November 13, 2021

For 2 CENTS, I'd Write a Blog Post

 SATURDAY, November 6, provided a surprise penny on the sidewalk of Country Mart.

 
Yes. It was right where that cheeky bicycle mom blocked me in while taking an hour to adjust her purchases in the backpack she tried to hook on behind the child seat holding her son. Okay. Maybe I exaggerate a bit... Anyhoo... it's in the sun, by the windshield portion of T-Hoe's shadow.

 
It was a face-down 1976 penny. The year of Val's VALedictorianship!
_______________________________________________________________________

SUNDAY, November 7, Even Steven tried to tell me that I was in the wrong place at the right time. I parked in my favorite spot at Orb K to get scratchers.  As I was getting out, a lady in a white SUV pulled into the handicap spot across the walkway from me. Wouldn't you know it... I spied a penny UNDER HER CAR. It was unreachable. Not a good omen. I should have left, but I figured I might be able to get it after that car's lady left.

Once inside, I was first at the counter, but the cashier saw me looking at the lottery display, and shoved the back of a receipt across the counter to me. "I think you should know, we are out of #s 11, 12, 17, 18, 20, 3, 5, 8, and 10." Well. Good thing she had them written on that receipt. It included my favored crossword ticket, and another. I left with tickets I hadn't really planned on getting. All later losers.

Anyhoo... back outside, I lingered like a creepy lurker, standing beside T-Hoe with the door open, waiting on that lady to come out. She did, and finally left, so I could turn and get my picture.

 
Don't be fooled by the old gum next to the blue line! The penny is above it, and shiny. About halfway to the pair of snakebite-looking, light-colored spots.

 
It was a face-down 2012 penny, that perhaps I was not meant to have, since it took so much effort!
________________________________________________________________________

That makes 2 COINS this week, for 2 CENTS towards Val's Future Pennyillionaire Fortune.
________________________________________________________

2021 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny     108, 109.
Dime         still at 12.
Nickel       still at 7.
Quarter    still at 6.

2020 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        25
Nickel      10
Quarter      1
________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. You were Valedictorian the same year I had baby#3!
    Has that cashier become so familiar with the tickets you buy that she now keeps track of what they are out of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we were both celebrating!

      I think that cashier was tired of waiting on people buying scratchers, and having to say, "No, we're out of that one," after certain numbers. So she was letting everyone know before they asked for tickets.

      I don't remember seeing this particular cashier before. They have a high turnover at Orb K, and I'm only in there once or twice a week.

      Delete