Saturday, November 6, 2021

November Comes In Like a 3-CENT Piece

MONDAY, November 1, the month kicked off to a good start for Val's Future Pennyillionaire Fortune. I stopped by the School-Turn Casey's on my way to make a bank deposit. Of course my mission there was scratchers.

Only one gal was working, at the register on the left. A man stood at the right register, but there was no clerk. The guy ahead of me stepped over to stand behind the customer being processed at the open register. It was clear that he was next. 

The guy in front of the unopen register turned to wander off to the right, and peruse the pizza case. I saw a PENNY on the floor where he'd been standing. Of course I stepped up to get it, right as another worker stepped behind the counter, and said, "I can help who's next."

Next-Man shot me a look. I was already bent over, harvesting my rightful penny.

"I know you're next. I'm just getting this lucky coin, then I'll be out of your way. You were ahead of me."

He didn't pitch a fit or anything. I stepped back and he stepped up, and then the OTHER clerk called me over. Sadly, I had left my phone in T-Hoe, since I was feeling puny with my head pain that day. But I posed my penny on a scratcher once I got back in T-Hoe:

 
Isn't he all craggy and handsome, that Abe on a scratcher, a 2002 version who had been face-down on the Casey's floor just a few moments earlier. Hey! That could be my new catch phrase: "ABE ON A SCRATCHER!"
_________________________________________________________________________

TUESDAY, November 2, was not turning out to be a good day for me. I had to make a trip to Convenient Care, then the liquor store parking lot was overcrowded, then the dead mouse smelling post office street parking was full, then the Backroad's Casey's (my substitute for the liquor store) was out of the $3 Christmas scratchers I wanted. So when I parked over at the Gas Station Chicken Store, I was worn down and frazzled, half-head pounding, and left my phone in T-Hoe.

But wait! A few steps towards the door, and I SAW A PENNY MEANT JUST FOR ME! I went back to T-Hoe and grabbed my phone.

 
Gotta look close! My penny is near the blue corner of the handicap markings, in that mess of oil or...? Yes. It was sticky. Yes. I washed it when I got home!

 
Looks clean enough here, but the back of that heads-up 1991 penny was sticky with stuff. Yes. I also used Germ-X on my hands before I got home.
_______________________________________________________________________

WEDNESDAY, November 3, the Gas Station Chicken Store kept my streak alive! I was parked over on the hill side, due to inconsiderate interlopers taking up my three favored parking spaces.

 
As I walked around T-Hoe's rear, I spied my prize.

 
It was a face-down 2010 penny, looking a bit worse-for-wear on that newly resurfaced pavement.
_____________________________________________________________________

That makes 3 COINS, and 3 CENTS this week towards Val's Future Pennyillionaire Fortune.
________________________________________________________

2021 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       # 105, 106, 107.
Dime         still at 12.
Nickel       still at 7.
Quarter    still at 6.

2020 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        25
Nickel      10
Quarter      1
________________________________________________________

4 comments:

  1. If I calculate correctly, and there's no guarantee that I do, that means you've collected $4.12 so far this year compared with $4.59 in all of last year. If you can keep picking up those quarters I think you've got a chance for a new world's record!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quarters are setting a personal record, but I only have half as many dimes this year. Nickels and pennies have a chance to come out about the same.

      I already found another penny today. So there's that. I need to be on the lookout!

      Delete
  2. That last penny looks like it has had a hard life. I can't imagine bending over with a painful infected head. That had to hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That penny can now retire in comfort, near the top of my 2021 ice cream sundae dish penny goblet.

      Yes, harvesting that last penny was particularly painful, because I was standing on the uphill side, so bent over a little extra. My infected right ear was NOT happy. I knew it would hurt, but I couldn't leave a penny behind!

      Delete