Thursday, November 25, 2021

Thanksgiving Eve Has a Different Feel

I might be lying awake all night in anticipation of the big day... but it's not from excitement. I think the word I am grasping for is DREAD. Although I DID get all my side dishes except one ready Wednesday. Not counting the Stove Top Stuffing, a request by The Pony, which takes less than 10 minutes from start to plating.

Oh, and did I mention that Wednesday was also my wedding anniversary? I think I did. Good thing, or it would have been completely forgotten. To be fair, Hick got me a card, and I got him a card and some scratchers (he won $20). But we didn't do anything. Well. That's not quite true. I spent 9.5 hours preparing dishes for the big feast, and Hick spent that long playing around over at Pony House.

Hick went to bed at 9:30. I finally sat down with my LUNCH at 9:00 p.m., and I'm still up at 2:20 a.m. Hick needs his rest, you know. It's not easy to digest a full Thanksgiving meal that will be swallowed in 10 minutes. I will have plenty of time to digest my meal. It can settle down and progress though my digestive tract while I'm standing to wash the dishes.

I have to slide my FREE TURKEY into the oven by 8:30 a.m. Even the turkey gets an HOUR OF REST before the big feast. I only need to whip up a hash brown casserole before dinner is served. And the storebought Sister Schubert's Rolls. And find room to warm up the roasted veggies.

I'm kind of looking forward to this yearly feast. Because once we sit down to eat, it will be another whole year before I have to prepare it again.

8 comments:

  1. I read this to Judy (on Thanksgiving night) and she said "Ohh. When I think of how many feelings of angst are going on throughout America tonight!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I didn't have a lot of guests coming! Hick and The Pony are not food critics, so I didn't have the added anxiety of trying to impress anyone. It's more of a timing issue.

      Delete
  2. You need a warming oven or a microwave oven so you can get things warmed up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may not have a dishwasher, but I DO have a microwave. Even though the handle broke off, and Hick replaced it with two drawer knobs! The Pony is not a fan of microwaving. He says it changes the texture of his food.

      We shuffled stuff around, and everything got warmed on time.

      Delete
  3. I have stumbled upon your blog tonight. I found it enjoyable. My husband worked for the USPS before his death. Reading about your Pony, the post office, has been such a comfort to me. It is almost like having my husband here talking about work. I know more about the postal service than I ever wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... be careful with that stumbling! That's how The Pony broke his ankle at work on July 15!

      https://unbaggingthecats.blogspot.com/2021/07/neither-snow-nor-rain-nor-heat-nor.html

      I am learning more about the postal service than is probably necessary! The work is way harder than I imagined, and it takes the right kind of person to be able to handle it.

      The Pony said just yesterday that even though being a CCA for the next month is going to be THE JOB FROM HELL, he would still rather do that than be a CLERK!

      "I don't want to deal with people! Most of being a clerk isn't too bad, just telling where deliveries go, and what to pick up. But when you have to talk to people at the counter, it's not good! Like being a manager! All customers ever want to talk to a manager for is to COMPLAIN! And the employees, too. Just no."

      Delete
  4. Your feast sounds fit for a king and queen and their pony. I will prepare ours this weekend. we gallavanted tot he country to visit family on a farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! Our feast was fantastic! We will be feeding on it for days to come. We've altered the timeline before as well, to accommodate Genius. Pace yourself so you're not too exhausted to enjoy the fruits and vegetables and turkey of your labors.

      Delete