Monday, July 12, 2021

In Val's Continuing Series on People Not Doing Their Jobs Correctly...

As I type this, it's July 11. That's almost halfway through July. And Val has no proof of insurance. Health insurance. For which she pays a pretty penny. A gorgeous penny. The most beautiful penny in the world. Some might call it breathtaking
 
I get my health insurance through my last employer, The School. Its fiscal year is July 1 to June 30. So every year, we either contract with a new insurance provider, or renew with the old one. I have no hand in this. All I do is provide my monthly payments. I make that convenient for the office staff. I hand-deliver 12 checks during the month of May. One for each insurance premium. They are paid a month ahead. So for July, my payment was made on June 1. 

Did I mention that I still do not have proof of insurance?
 
This is in no way the fault of The School. Not the board who makes the decision on which insurance to go with, nor the office staff who handle my payments. The INSURANCE COMPANY IS NOT DOING ITS JOB CORRECTLY! 

Just when you think somebody might be able to do a job right... Oh, c'mon! You KNOW
I wasn't thinking that! 

It's July 11. I have not yet received an insurance card. We're almost halfway through July, people! Am I supposed to miraculously remain healthy and accident-free indefinitely? At first I tried to make excuses.

"I'm sure it's been mailed. In past years, there's been a couple day lag in getting the card."

"The July 4th holiday probably slowed it down in the mail."

"Huh. Maybe they sent them all to school. We used to get some things put in our teacher mailbox."

"Maybe since it's the same insurance, there will be a record of it if I use the old card."
 
"When I refilled my prescriptions on July 1, the pharmacy didn't ask for new insurance. Maybe I won't need a new card."
 
"I guess they're conserving resources. Same insurance, just a renewal July 1. Not sending new cards."
 
"This is getting ridiculous! We're almost halfway through July! I'm calling school!"
 
So Friday afternoon, I got the little gal who used to be a student there, who has subbed for me many times, and now works in Central Office. Very polite.
 
"Oh, they just sent us an email this morning. Have you checked your email today?"
 
"No, not yet." Even though I had glanced at it 10 minutes previous, and seen nothing related to school or insurance. Maybe she meant SCHOOL email, which others would have, but as a retiree, I don't.
 
"What's your email? I'll forward it to you. I guess I need to make a list of everybody's email and send it to them. Here's what it says:
 ___________________________________________________________________________
 
We're mailing your ID card to you soon. For your convenience, you can now access a digital version of your ID card at Blankety-Blankcare.com or on the Heavens to Murgatroid mobile app. Download it, print it out, or email it to your doctor.
___________________________________________________________________________

"If you can't access it, or can't print it, call me back, and I'll send you a scan."

"Okay. So they WILL be mailing them, but I can make a copy for now?"

"Yes."

"Okay. Thank you so much!"
 
I'm waiting on the mail. I have no desire to download an app, and try to print a card on my secondary printer in Hick's workshop, since my primary printer has been having SPOOL issues. I can imagine trying to hand medical personnel a home-printed insurance card with my arm dangling by a sinewy thread after an unfortunate accident due to all the bad drivers on the road these days.

Here's the thing. Would that insurance company allow the school to send them payment 11 DAYS (or more) LATE? And everything would be just fine? Everybody still having their coverage? I DON'T THINK SO! It's not like they don't know this major date is coming up. It's not like the contract went in at the last minute. We've known since May, and the new cost of the monthly premiums.

What if people needed medicine to stay alive, and couldn't get it, and couldn't afford it out of pocket? What if somebody's kid broke a leg? Would he just have to hobble around on it, splinted with broomsticks, until proof of insurance arrives?

There's no excuse for waiting 9 DAYS into the month before notifying the customer how to get proof of their insurance. Which has already been PAID FOR a month ahead.

6 comments:

  1. Did they blame it on COVID? That is what everyone does here. SO ten years from now it will still be COVID....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The email she forwarded me didn't make an excuse. Just a statement, like that was the most perfectly normal thing in the world, to only "be sending" out the insurance cards nine days into the month where you should be reaping the benefits already.

      I agree that ten years from now, that may still be an excuse. If companies haven't figured out how to "get their business done" over 18 months, then what would light a fire under them now to be efficient?

      Delete
  2. Problems with an insurance company? Hard to believe, especially as their monthly payment looks like a mortgage payment...only bigger!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My current insurance payment is twice my mortgage payment, back when we had a mortgage! And that's just for me. The Pony has his own now, as does Hick. Granted, this is the house that Hick built, and we didn't borrow a lot. But still... that's not right!

      Delete
  3. Better late than never as my mum used to say, but sooner rather than later is my personal motto. The Heavens to Murgatroyd app had me laughing. I know I put a 'y' in there, but that's how I learned it many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to shame the insurance with their actual name and app. They might treat me even worse!

      Delete