Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Kind of Like a Certain Rent-A-Car Company, I Know How to MAKE a Call, I Just Can't TAKE a Call

Remember my new phone? The Samsung Galaxy A51? I might have given it a passing mention in some obscure post. I call him SamGalA.

I regret to reveal that we've had our first little tiff. It started in the driveway, and continued way out to the low water bridge.

I stopped at the end of our driveway to call Hick. You know. To see if I was proficient in calling on my new phone. I've mastered texting and (kind of) picture-taking. Of course Hick didn't answer. So off I went towards town.

Down by the mailboxes, my phone rang. I picked it up and tried to answer. TRIED to answer. I swiped up. I swiped down. I swiped left. I swiped right. I touched the big red circle. I tapped the big red circle. I held my finger on the big red circle. I did the same three attempts each, with the green spot in the lower left corner, and the red spot in the lower right corner. Nothing happened. My phone continued to ring, all the while ignoring my tender touch.

I was holding that phone in front of my face, trying to get it to recognize my actions. When I gave up and laid SamGalA on the console to pull out on the road to town, I saw a dude standing by a side-by-side parked across the bridge. His kids were standing around. He was WAVING at me! Sheesh! He probably assumed I'd been taking his picture. As IF! What kind of crazy person would do THAT?

Anyhoo... as I topped the hill, I tried to call Hick again. SamGalA said I had NO SERVICE. I laid him down on the console again. As I rounded the sharp curve where the lady in the purple car ran off in a snowstorm, and Hick and I gave her a ride to the house that would later have a headless body hidden in its septic tank... my phone rang again. I couldn't pick up.

When the road straightened out, I picked up SamGalA and went into the contacts to try calling Hick again. While in the contacts, HICK CALLED BACK. So I could see the little bar with ACCEPT or DECLINE. I accepted the call, and got to talk to Hick. Who said he'd had a customer and couldn't answer me. I asked him how to answer a call. Was swiping involved. He thought so. But was telling me how his was kind of tricky, when all at once Hick said,

"I'm losing you."

"I'm here!"

"Can't hear you."

"I'm right here!"

"I don't know where you are, so bye."

"NO! NO! I'm going up the hill by the bridge! WAIT!"

Nope. Hick hung up on me.

Funny how when I got to town, I passed Hick at the stoplight, headed TOWARD the Storage Unit Store and home. He hadn't had a customer! I think he WAS the customer, at Casey's.

When I got home, The Pony, who also has a Samsung Galaxy, but a ritzier version, showed me how to answer a call. I have to swipe the little green dot to the right.

Good to know. Now I can reconcile with the new love of my life. Shh... don't tell him that last night I researched how to pull the plug and turn him off.

12 comments:

  1. Mrs. C has a Samsung, I do not even try to answer when it rings, I've tried, but no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You almost need the Geek Squad to answer a call. It's a riddle, wrapped in an enigma, inside a Samsung! Like one of those dog treat puzzle contraptions to keep pets busy all day while you're at work.

      Delete
  2. My Samsung is evil. It deletes apps on my home page at random. Sometimes I want to throw it off a low water bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! Say it isn't so! You're driving a wedge between me and the new love of my life.

      Delete
  3. I had that exact same problem with my android phone until my daughter told me how, I had to swipe the red dot to the right. She googled for that instruction because she knows how to find information that way so much faster than me. I still miss a lot of calls, because it doesn't ring long enough for me to race in from the back porch where I'm hanging washing and it truly is only ten or twelve steps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! When Hick said later that he didn't have a clue how to answer my phone, I said, "What do I have to do, go find a 5-year-old child to show me how?"

      Since a 5-year-old child was not available, I asked The Pony to call me, and then to answer the call to show me how. He rolled his eyes and swiped that green dot with a quickness.

      Delete
    2. Mine is actually a white dot as I found out today when I looked at it as I swiped.

      Delete
    3. Once it becomes a habit, the details fade! Nobody has called me since The Pony swiped for me, but I'm pretty sure mine was the little green dot.

      Delete
  4. I have a Samsung too and frequently have trouble answering an incoming call. One of these days I'm going to get around to reading the instruction manual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, it's just user error, and the pictures, texting, and MAKING calls will stay healthy for me! My past phones have been LG, the preference of Genius, who then handed them down to me. The only one I didn't get was his very first phone a Razr, metallic blue.

      WAIT! Instruction manual???

      Delete
    2. You get a basics manual in the box, but detailed manuals are online these days. It's quicker to just google for an answer to whatever question you have.

      Delete
    3. I guess I need to look through the box for a hidden compartment, since I don't remember seeing a manual.

      Delete