Wednesday, June 10, 2020

A Day Without Weirdos Is Like a Day Without Scratchers

In case you haven't learned by now: Val is a weirdo magnet. They can't help themselves. If I'm out and about, they will find me.

Tuesday, I was in line at Country Mart, already approaching a fit of pique. I was at the short checkout, the last one on the right, with one lady ahead of me. What a dinosaur! She was writing out a check!

I'm sure she knew when she came into the store that she'd be writing out a check. She might have at least filled out the pertinent information, only leaving the amount and her signature blank. But no. Let's dig out the checkbook right there once she'd put everything in her cart. Still, I bore HER no ill will. It's not like people who use a credit card to pay for a bottle of soda in a convenience store.

Anyhoo... I waited on the 6-foot circle telling me to stay back, putting my five items on the conveyor. When the dinosaur left, I pushed my cart up to where she'd been standing, at the other end, to receive my bagged groceries.

All at once, a weirdo materialized on my left. He was a typical Backroadsian, short haircut, late 20s, in jeans shorts, workboots, and NO SHIRT! Seriously! There he was in the store, not wearing a shirt, but standing within TWO FEET of me, pulling a t-shirt over his head! He'd come from the customer service counter. I guess they told him NO SHIRT NO SERVICE.

Weirdo had no business standing there at the tail-end of my register. He did no business there. Just put on his shirt so close to me that his elbows could have jabbed me, muttering about "And I'll tell you what, I'm gonna kick his a$$, that's what I'm gonna do." To no one in particular.

When I drove across the parking lot after buying my scratchers (won $15, so broke even), there he was, sitting with another guy on a bench in front of the double doors Country Mart has blocked off now.

I have no knowledge of whether his companion had gotten, or was about to receive, an a$$-kicking.

8 comments:

  1. Usually when a guy mumbles to no one in particular that he is going to kick someones ass, he has been told off and put down by someone that could have easily kicked HIS ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been the middle-aged woman working the service desk, who told him to put on a shirt, or leave.

      Delete
  2. Weirdo probably meant the store manager would get an a$$kicking for having such a stupid must-wear-shirt rule. We have a supermarket down near the beach, well one of our many beaches, and in summer people come right up from the beach and shop wearing nothing but their board shorts. The men that is. Women tend to put at least a t-shirt over their oh-so-skimpy bikinis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. The store is under new management as of June 1. No beach near Country Mart. The Creach (our creek beach) is the closest!

      Delete
  3. Our city is built along the coastline, so we have 34 suburbs that have access to a beach area and a few in between that have only rocky foreshore. But even the suburbs away from the beach can get there in an hour or less (mostly less) depending on how far away you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is handy for ocean-lovers. I, myself, am not one. I've been to Daytona Beach for a week, and spent a night on an Alaskan ferry going up the Inside Passage. Too much water for me!

      Delete
  4. Weirdo was flinging cooties and threats? That's twofer.

    ReplyDelete