Wednesday, September 27, 2023

The Inadvertent Thief

Rev up the sirens! Get the handcuffs and the taser ready! Val is on the loose!

I went to Save A Lot on Tuesday afternoon, and parked on the second row to avoid close-parkers. While walking to the cart corral to grab a cart/walker for my trek inside, a woman approached. She was pushing a cart with a baby in the seat. A non-walking baby, but able to sit up in the cart. I thought maybe she was going back inside, though I'd seen her unloading the cart at her car.

"Would you like this one?"

"Sure. But I wasn't going to take the baby!"

"Here. Go ahead." The Woman took the baby out of the cart and put it on her hip. 

I took the cart, put my purse in the seat just vacated by the baby, and headed for the store. The Woman and her hip-baby started towards the Dollar Store next door.

Once inside, I stopped by the lottery machine for some scratchers. Then I moved on to the bananas. I was perusing the wares when I heard, 

"Ma'am? MA'AM?"

I turned to see The Woman and her hip-baby coming up fast.

"I left my phone in the cart! My cell phone."

"Oh. Sorry."

I picked up my purse and stepped aside. When I lifted Percy (my purse) out of the child-seat, I saw the cell phone drop to the bottom section of the cart. I guess I jostled it just enough for it to slip through the wire slots of the seat.

The Woman picked it up and said "Thanks." I'm sure she was quite relieved that I had not already sold it on the black market.

10 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I can imagine the lady's panic when she realized she didn't have her cell phone. I've left my purse in the cart after parking the cart in the cart return of the Walmart parking lot and not realized it until I got home. My car keys must have been in my pocket. Anyway, after a quick drive back to the parking lot, I found my purse still in the shopping cart:) Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully, I have never left my phone in the cart or anywhere. I have left my purse twice. Once it was still in the cart. The other time it had been carried inside by an employee. A druggy friend left his mother's phone on a box in Walmart. She is too poor to buy another and he is a jerk. I am so glad you did not go to jail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't take my purse in, unless I am planning to buy scratchers from the machine. They are too awkward to carry without my purse. So I have not forgotten it anywhere. The phone is usually in my pocket. Or in the purse.

      Thanks for supporting my freedom!

      Delete
  3. I guess the not walking baby was able to text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! That phone was right beside where the not-walking baby's diapered butt had been sitting. I would never have left it there. Not-texting babies like to throw things to see you retrieve them.

      Delete
  4. How did you not notice the cell phone when you put your bag in its place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would I? Standing in the parking lot, I grabbed the cart handle with one hand so it didn't roll away, and set my purse in with the other hand. Black cart, black phone. I'm not in a habit of inspecting a cart seat before putting my purse in. It's not like I go around stealing phones EVERY day!

      Delete
  5. I inspect cart seats incase there is anything yucky on them which I don't want to get on my purse/handbag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never encountered anything yucky on a cart seat. With the gaps between the metal bars being an inch or more, nothing much can collect there, and drops through. Besides, they are usually folded-up and vertical, due to being shoved into the other carts in the corral.

      Delete