Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Teach a Man to Fish, and He Must Make the Effort. Make a Man Cook's Pet, and He Will Have Fish for the Rest of His Life.

You're not going to believe this. Wait. Who am I kidding? You're going to believe every word. HICK GOT MORE STUFF FOR FREE!

Friday around noon, Hick called me. He usually doesn't get home until 5:00. He does his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2) in the morning. Then eats at the Senior Center. Then goes to his weekly doctor appointment for a shot. Then sits around shooting the bull with his cronies at someone's shop.

"I'm bringing home some fish. Then going back to town to the doctor."

"Okay. We can have it tomorrow night. I already have the chicken for tonight."

"It's a lot of fish."

Well. That was an understatement! Hick brought home two fish dinners with slaw and fries, and a container of cod, and another of catfish. Plus four desserts!


I would have preferred the tartar sauce NOT submerged in the slaw, but I suppose it was kept cool by that arrangement.

We were already having a supper of fried chicken I had picked up Thursday, along with green beans and bacon that I had made on Friday morning. But I said I'd have one of the dinners for my lunch. Hick already had plans with The Pony for Saturday evening. So I said I'd have the other dinner then, for my supper.


There were four huge pieces of catfish, with fries.


Six slabs of cod! Indeed. It was a LOT of fish.

Hick packed up three pieces of the cod to take to his SUS2 for Saturday and Sunday lunch, with one for a buddy on Saturday. We had fish and leftover green beans on Sunday. I had some cod, Hick had some catfish. I made my own tartar sauce, which I must say was delicious. We have some fish in the freezer now for another time.


One brownie, and three of the cherry/peach crisp desserts.

As for the desserts, they were gradually consumed over the course of days. I spoke for the brownie. I'm not much of a pie kind of gal, but I forced myself to eat one! I had to consume mine in installments. It was SO sweet!

Anyhoo... I'm sure more fish (and who knows what else) is in store for us, courtesy of my cook's pet.

8 comments:

  1. Those ladies at the Senior Center must think Hick doesn't get enought to eat! I wouldn't complain, though. I need to find the Senior Center here and get The Patient involved! The Ladies of a certain age seem to resond to him in a positive manner. Just thinking of how many days I could avoid cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not from Hick's appearance! Yes, you should indeed pawn off--I mean introduce--The Patient to your local Senior Center. It's a win-win. You get rid of him for a few hours, plus occasional relief from cooking. It would even benefit HIM, stoking his ego from the adulation.

      Delete
    2. Right you are, I am not stoking his ego! As I was unlaoding bins from the tiny shed to go to the She Shed today, he decided to walk around outside to relieve his boredom and I was hot, tired and irritated. He asked me why I was so irritated ....... so I asked him why he was so lazy. He didn't answer, just went back in to worship his phone.

      Delete
    3. Baby steps. At least he came outside for a bit.

      Delete
  2. My gosh, what a win/win situation for both you and Hick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Hick really brings home the bacon. I mean FISH!

      Delete
  3. That IS a lot of fish and it all looks delicious. Brownies I can make for myself, but the cherry peach crisp looks very nice and it isn't something I could whip up on the spur of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cherry peach crisp was too sweet for me. Although I DID eat it! Just not all at once. I prefer the fish. Looking forward to the next "fish day" at the Senior Center. Even though there's no guarantee there will be leftovers for Hick. And we have some in the freezer right now.

      Delete