Thursday, September 21, 2023

Cook's Pet Scores Again!

The fish is barely frozen in FRIG II, and Hick is bringing home treats from the Senior Center again! Don't act like you're surprised. He sent me a text on Wednesday:

"I'm bringing some ham salad home far your supper"


When Hick came home, he proudly displayed his wares. Sure, I know ham salad doesn't look so appetizing. But it takes me back to my childhood school lunches. On chili day, we had a bowl of chili, plus half a ham salad sandwich, and half a peanut butter sandwich made with Karo syrup. I always traded my peanut butter half for someone else's ham salad half. 

Anyhoo... I asked Hick how much was in that giant container.

"I don't know. I didn't look. But my buddy took some of it home to feed his dogs."

"Huh. Now I'M a dog!"

"No. But what we don't want, we can feed the dogs."

Funny how Hick was gone to his bingo and not having supper at home Wednesday night, and planning to go to a football game on Thursday night. So it is doubtful if he will eat any of the ham salad before it's too late. 

When I took the picture, I opened up the container to see how much ham salad was inside. From the light shining on it earlier, it looked like the container was half full. Not quite...


Maybe it was 1/4 full, considering the middle had been scooped out. Probably for Hick's buddy's dogs! Not that I'm complaining. A little ham salad goes a long way.

I toasted some Nutty Oat bread for a sandwich. I didn't have any plain white bread to make a school-style sandwich. It was good, though a bit salty. I'll have some on Thursday for supper, as will Hick, if the football game gets rained out. I've never heard of that happening, short of lightning, which you won't know until the game is being played.

Anyhoo... the dogs and I have benefitted from Hick's popularity with the cooks at the Senior Center.

10 comments:

  1. My oh my, what's next for supper? Anticipation... I don't think I've ever had a ham salad but I wouldn't turn it down. Ha! How nice is it to not have to think about what to prepare for lunch or dinner? How long will this last? I mean, I think the cooks at the Senior Center may keep it up now that they've started. They wouldn't want to disappoint Hick:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so random. I'll take whatever Hick brings. I've had to put our own food in the freezer to wait until we eat Hick's leftovers.

      Delete
  2. I like a good ham sandwich with lots of lettuce, the lettuce helps with the saltiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some romaine in FRIG II's crisper, but I don't like lettuce on a sandwich or burger. Instead, I added a dill pickle slice. Which only amped up the saltiness, but the crunch and tartness were a good contrast.

      Delete
  3. Over here a ham salad sandwich is actual ham slices and other salad ingredients like tomatoes, onions, etc layered between two slices of bread or between two halves of a bread roll. I don't know anyone who minces up the ham like that. I guess it would be easier for kids lunches, they wouldn't have bits of cheese or tomato or whatever sliding out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sitting down? I don't want this shock to cause a faint, but... we DO understand the concept of a sandwich!

      I guess we're an advanced civilization, since we've learned that meat can be ground up and combined with other ingredients to make a spread for sandwiches. My mom used to grind up the leftover Sunday beef roast, with mayo and pickles, which was even more delicious than ham salad.

      Delete
    2. People here do the grinding and adding thing too, but usually it's leftover roast beef which is then cooked as "burgers" if it isn't used in sandwiches. I don't think anyone has thought of doing it with ham since we can already buy ham based spreads such as "devilled ham" in those little jars like the anchovy paste ones. I have mixed finely chopped chicken with mayo to make sangas (Australian for sandwiches)

      Delete
    3. The prepared "deviled ham" is even more salty than this more course spread from the Senior Center. I'm giving the leftovers to the dogs today. I'll have to make sure their water bowl is full!

      Delete