Friday, September 29, 2023

The Piper Comes Calling, With His Hand Out

I asked Hick what his lunch was at the Senior Center on Thursday.

"Pulled pork on a bun, sweet potato fries, and either Brussels Sprouts, or mixed vegetables. But I had both. And blackberry cobbler for dessert."

"So you could have both vegetables?"

"No. I asked for them. And they gave them to me."

"Because you are cook's pet!"

Who is not surprised? But then Hick went on...

"They asked me to wash dishes on Friday!"

"Heh, heh! That's what you get! For all the special treatment and take-home stuff they give you."

"No. My buddy is going to be gone. So they don't have anyone to wash the dishes."

"You mean you have to actually wash dishes in a sink?"

"No. Rinse them, and put them in the dishwasher, and then take them out."

Yeah. Such a hard task for Hick. One day of loading a dishwasher and unloading it.

"How many people eat there?"

"On an average day? About 12."

"So you only have to load and unload 12 dishes!"

"No. On meat loaf day, about 25 or 30 eat there."

"Is Friday meat loaf day?"

"I don't know. It's usually fish day. But that's a big day! 25 or 30 people!"

"Well. You won't exhaust yourself loading and unloading 30 dishes in a dishwasher."

Because, you know... DISHWASHER!

5 comments:

  1. Heh. I'd tell him the dishwasher is broken and he has to wash them up in the sink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was imagining him standing at an industrial sink, holding a big sprayer, with a pile of suds in front of him. The dishwasher news ruined my revenge fantasy.

      Delete
  2. That is not so much, sort of like a family's dishes from one day. At least he is using dishwasher instead of doing them by hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there's more to this story! Semi-spoiler: Hick didn't use a dishwasher.

      Delete
  3. Boo-hoo, dinner dishes for 30, just one time, boo-hoo.

    ReplyDelete