Tuesday, September 1, 2020

It Takes An Enclave to Raise a Mild Alarm

You may recall that we've had a mail theft problem around here lately. And also a home theft problem over on the other road in our enclave.

The people who had surveillance video of a thief in their house saw another robber outside last week! It might have been the SAME robber. I don't remember if I told you about it, but the lady looked out her window, and saw a guy standing in her back yard. I hope he wasn't standing there all creepy like Michael Myers in the original Halloween! Anyhoo... she turned on her yard light, and he crept away into the woods. They called the sheriff. I don't think they found a vehicle that night. Or the would-be robber.

Anyhoo... THIS week, Monday to be exact, a resident going out the back entrance put an alert on our enclave's Facebook page around 11:30 a.m.

"I just saw a woman parked at the mailboxes over at Back Entrance. She's in a black SUV. When I went by, she ducked her head and held her hand over her face while I was trying to get a good look at her. If you're expecting a package, you might want to go sit over there and wait for the mailman."

Then another resident said, "I was coming down Hick and Buddy's Badly Blacktopped Hill, and when I got to the bottom, that lady was coming across the road from the Back Entrance. I waited for her to go by, but she stopped, and waved me out ahead of her. I don't know where she went from there."

Let the record show that this gravel road goes from the Back Entrance to our own entrance where our mailboxes are. About two miles from one blacktop road to another. People use it as a shortcut a lot. We live on an offshoot dead-end gravel road where Hick and Buddy did their handiwork on the hill.

Anyhoo... then another resident said, "I just want you to know that we have a house for sale [on our offshoot road] and it could possibly be somebody interested in seeing it, waiting for a realtor."

Good to know. But I don't think somebody waiting for a realtor would be hiding her face. Nor switching from sitting at one entrance to the other entrance two miles away. Both of which coincidentally have rows of mailboxes, which receive keys to the lockboxes for package deliveries.

I wish that guy had taken a picture of her license plate.

10 comments:

  1. When Bill and I married I moved into his condo which backed up to some woods. We met a weirdo who lived in the shack back in the back with his elderly mom. While walking one day we found his shoes hidden. He must have been a peeping Tom. They razed the woods and raised a subdivision. Never found out what happened to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes, or the weirdo and mom? Heh, heh!

      So now I wonder if he was a civilized weirdo peeper who made sure to wear shoes while peeping... or a sneaky weirdo peeper who hid his shoes and went barefoot.

      Delete
  2. there always seems to have mysteries it comes to the woods. WE spent a lot of kid time in ours and were sure there was something or someone there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like to look into the woods at night! I feel like somebody is watching me.

      Delete
  3. It is not woods, but someone sat behind our scuppernong arbor at the back of the yard and drank booze, ate commercially packaged food and junk food. One of my children found all this. It was scary because I had three litte kids in the yard. This was not a large yard, so it is not like someone hid far away from our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very creepy! Let's hope the boozer did his thing while the yard was empty of your kids!

      Delete
  4. It seems this is a recurring problem for people who choose the rural life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a neighborhood in Backroads (population 7,000 for the whole town), where mail cannot be delivered to their porch mailboxes. Too much theft. So those folks have to drive to the dead-mouse-smelling post office, where they have locking mailboxes set up outside on the sidewalk. It's like a panel of outside post office boxes.

      Delete
  5. Good to know that people are keeping closer watch, but I think it may be time to position someone at or near both sets of mailboxes, with aimed cameras. Has anyone let the Post Office know there is theft going on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the post office has been alerted. Every time something is stolen! I don't feel that they are without blame, ever since I encountered that young mailman who said he was just going to set a package on top of our row of mailboxes, since it didn't look like rain!

      The county sheriff's office has also been notified. I guess they're waiting for more evidence, like license plate numbers, or pictures. Even though they said they'd patrol more in our area.

      Delete