Tuesday, March 12, 2019

The House that Hick Bought (and Rebuilt)

Hick and HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) have been working on Hick House since the day we bought it. Actually before the money changed hands, but the day after the verbal agreement was made. One week into their renovations, a neighbor showed up.

"We was workin' outside, and the old lady from next door showed up. She's about my age. She asked what we was doin' there, and I told her we were the new owners, fixin' up the house. She said, 'I know the owner really well.' And I said, 'So do I.' Then she said, 'Her name is This Guy's Wife.' And I said, 'That's who I bought it from!'"

"Great! That sounds so fake! You didn't even tell her who you bought it from! You just agreed after she said the name. How is SHE supposed to know you really bought it?"

"Well, she DID say, 'I've seen you over here, and wondered what was going on. I talk to This Guy's Wife almost every day. I might call her today.' So I said, 'Go ahead. I might call her, too.'"

"She can't be talking to her every day, if This Guy's Wife didn't mention to that old lady that she'd sold the house to you!"

"I know I bought it. Let her call. It's kind of good that she's looking out for the property."

Hick is bending over backwards not to upset the neighbors, though. He tells HOS that he needs to be careful about revving his car engine, because it's kind of loud. And that he shouldn't have changed the oil in his truck over there in the driveway. "I can't afford to have the neighbors upset and calling the police. Let's get this house ready, and not give them anything to complain about." HOS said he doesn't really give an eff if the neighbors get upset. I'm pretty sure he'll change his tune if the police show up and question him. Then some effs will be given!

"HOS needs to be careful. He has nothing to show that he owns the house, and you don't even have anything to show that YOU own the house! What if they call This Guy's Wife to verify it, and she doesn't answer? HOS works over there late at night. I'm sure they see the light on. Almost every time I drive by in the day, I see a cop."

"Yeah. I'll have another talk with him. Once we get it done, if he's living there, I don't care. It's out of my hands then."

Here's a floor plan that Hick drew me on a paper plate, his choice for blueprints. I had a Not-Heaven of a time figuring out which rooms he was talking about. It was like a Who's On First routine. He can't explain any other way besides saying the same thing louder. Even in answer to a specific question, he repeats the same thing, louder. I don't envy HOS, spending his days trying to work with Hick.

After the descriptions, I'll put the original picture of the $5000 house, so maybe you can tell what Hick's referring to in his floor plan. Let the record show that the drawing is not to scale, and that the ground floor is indeed the same size as the upstairs!


The top floor is up top. You come off the U-shaped set of stairs into a sunny room that could be a sitting room. To your right are two doors, each leading to a bedroom. The bedrooms also have a connecting door with each other. Tomorrow, I'll show you actual pictures of the upstairs rooms.

The ground floor has the stairs to the immediate right as you enter the door. Straight ahead, you walk into a room that's going to be the master bedroom. On past that is what's becoming the new bathroom and laundry room. That section along the back might be torn off. Hick has labeled the original bathroom there on the right. The other end is currently a pantry off the kitchen.

The left half of the ground floor has a living room in front, then the kitchen in back. Hick is putting a hallway between the kitchen and new bathroom, I think. He has left out some windows and doors in his floor plan. There's an open archway between the living room and bedroom, which is going to be closed by built-in shelves for both rooms. Hick has a vision, which should become more clear as work progresses.


Let's remember, Hick and HOS are working towards a livable house that will pass city inspection. Nothing fancy.

10 comments:

  1. That neighbor with an eye on the house is sure to ruffle some feathers. Tell Hick to be ready for an explanation if he doesn't have a bill of sale or title. You sure the wife knows it's sold? They guy may have taken the 5 grand and split...not with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wife is the one who took the money from Hick, and put it in her safe. She said she's in no hurry to go to the courthouse and transfer ownership. It will get done eventually.

      I'm amazed that Hick has added liability for this house to our insurance, yet he doesn't even hold the title. He might wait until it sells, or HOS takes over. I think he needs to get the paperwork in order!

      Delete
  2. I'd think any neighbor would be happy to have a property in their neighborhood improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even what Hick plans to do with is will better than what it was! I think this lady has a bit of Gladys Kravitz in her, even though Hick says she is nice.

      Delete
    2. Maybe Hick could wiggle his nose and the house would be done.

      Delete
    3. Or maybe I could fly over there on my broom (which won't get stuck in PARK) and help him. I think he's better off to say, "Calling Dr. Bombay, calling Dr. Bombay! EMERGENCY, come right away!"

      Delete
  3. With your written description I was able to work out what's what, apart from where the archway actually is. I LOVE playing around with house plans and have occasionally drawn up my own version of something I've seen, BUT, I write what each room is as I draw it up: Kitchen, Bath, Bed1, Bed2, Living, and so on and draw arrows crossing boundaries to indicate doors, stairs are indicated with a ladder-like drawing with arrows pointing up and down along the ladder, just like they do in "proper" house plans. it's a hobby of mine. I look at real estate sites all the time and download any plans that I really like, so I can play around with alterations and furniture placement.
    I REALLY do think that lady should file those papers with the necessary institution ASAP, just to keep everything above board and legal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick would not make a good architect or draftsman, even with CAD. His attention to detail on paper is not good. Imagine how I tried to extract archway information from him, what with that paper plate drawing, and him only saying the same thing louder every time I asked for clarification.

      Look at the very center of the downstairs. Where the wall divides the living room from the kitchen. As that dividing wall runs into the center of the house, there's a little gap in Hick's drawing. That's the archway. I walked through it, so I understand where it is now.

      You would love making plans for this house. It's a blank slate, except for the kitchen, now partially done, and the added bathroom.

      Just this evening, I mentioned the legality of having insurance on a house we don't own (on paper). Hick said if it's raining tomorrow, he might get That Guy's Wife and go to the courthouse. Since he can't work outside on his intended project.

      Delete
  4. I think you might need something on paper to get insurance. I can sympathize with Hick when he tries to explain his vision. I will draw something on paper, complete with dimensions and HeWho will keep saying he doesn't know what I am trying to show him. I think I may get louder in volume every time he says that. I may have even gotten physical and whacked him with my legal pad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, Hick's word is good enough for our insurance agent! Hick is always calling and adding things, sight unseen, paperwork be darned.

      Oh, no! You are an upgraded version of Hick! He just gave me a LEGAL PAD tonight, with his itemized expenses for reimbursement. Shouldn't have told him about the tax refund!

      Delete