Saturday, March 30, 2019

CENTSoring Val's Inner Complainer

Oh, come on! Like you actually thought for one nanosecond that Val would censor a complaint!

WEDNESDAY, March 27, I whipped T-Hoe into my preferred parking spot at Orb K, and flung open the door.


You can't tell me that dime wasn't meant especially for me! Waiting right there for my arrival and subsequent disembarking.


It was a face-down 1987.

As soon as I stepped inside Orb K, my attention was drawn to the floor on the right side of the door.


This face-down penny might have been meant for anybody, right there in front of the ATM, but I found it first!


A face-down 2017. The soda delivery guy gave me the side-eye, but stopped short of twirling his crazy finger.
____________________________________________________________________

FRIDAY, March 29th, I entered the Casey's over in Sis-Town to pay for $30 of gas for T-Hoe. Right there on my way to the counter were TWO pennies in my path.


Sorry, no close-ups. The clerks are just too dang speedy for my liking sometimes. The left penny was heads-up, a 1976. The right penny was face-down, a 1981. Yes, they were obviously meant for me! The year of my VALedictorianship, and the year of my college graduation.
______________________________________________________________________

Now, for the uncensored complaint. I didn't find any pennies in The Gas Station Chicken Store on Friday. That's not the complaint. A shaved-head bald dude walked up to the chicken counter as I was putting the lid on my 44 oz Diet Coke. "I'd like a burrito," he told the chicken gal.

I started for the counter to pay for my magical elixir, but the Shaved-Head Bald Guy turned sideways, blocking my path. I know I could have said, "Excuse me." But his back was to me, and I pretty much sensed that he was doing it on purpose. You know how you get that vibe from people. I knew he couldn't pay until he got his burrito, and the ticket that the Chicken Gal writes as the bill. I was ready to pay, he was still waiting for his ticket and burrito. Yet he was blocking me.

I stood patiently, browsing the 129 kinds of whiskey on the shelf to the right. Then the 52 kinds of sunglasses on the two racks on top of the whiskey shelf. The Chicken Gal gave Shaved-Head Bald Guy his burrito and ticket. He glanced at me, clearly standing there ready to pay, waiting for the other two people already at the counter... and STEPPED UP TO THE COUNTER AHEAD OF ME!

That takes some kind of nerve! I hope that burrito made him feel a bit indisposed. Or that he picked up 10 days of virusy misery from the lady ahead of him, who had been hacking up half a lung for five minutes, coughing into her hand, then touching all over the card-scanner number pad. Even Steven should take care of it, one way or another.
__________________________________________________________________

2019 Running Total
Penny   # 47, 48, 49.
Dime    # 7.
Nickel  still at 5.
Quarter  still at 1.

2018 TOTALS
Penny  131
Dime  17
Nickel  6
Quarter  1

2017 TOTALS (Started in March, 2017)
Penny  78
Dime   6
Nickel  0
Quarter  0
___________________________________________________________________

6 comments:

  1. It seems like everything is a contest for some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I don't know why they can't just chill, and find a hobby like picking up pennies.

      Delete
  2. 1976 and 1981 are the birth years of my two youngest children. Karma will take care of burrito guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. If nothing else, he might learn to never buy a burrito at a gas station. Anyone knows that gas stations are for CHICKEN!

      Delete
    2. "gas stations are for CHICKEN"...that is a book title if I've ever heard one!

      Delete
    3. Yes, the TRUTH of it just reaches out and grabs you!

      Delete