Sunday, March 24, 2019

Hick House Downstairs: Kitchen 03-21-19

The minute I typed up the last kitchen update on Hick House, it was already obsolete. HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) has been doing some work on it at night, which Hick sees the next day. He's becoming a miser with the pictures, though. Hick says there's not much new to see because the work they're doing right now is not all that observable. Still, I can show you part of the kitchen.


Here's the wall of the kitchen where Hick and HOS covered the flue. That door goes into the living room. HOS finished the drywall at the top of the flue, and put up the flooring that Hick used for paneling around the kitchen counter. The corner with a gap is going to have trim board on it. HOS still has another coat to apply to the ceiling, and paint touch-ups to do.

Here's the kitchen sink and counter area. I assure you, the paint is the same as on the other wall, it just looks different here from the lighting and Hick's phone camera. I know some people might recoil at that color, but Hick is using paint he already had, and that came from the accent wall Genius painted in his bedroom a while back. I am not an impartial observer, since green is my favorite color!

HOS has cleaned up the built-in cabinets, and is painting them white, with gray accents (like the door and window trim). He's only got a base coat on that one cabinet door in this photo. There will be a little wall to close in the gap between the built-ins and the tall cabinet. The bottom of the wall on the right is going to have paneling. Hick and HOS want to do an industrial theme, and make it metal, like roofing metal. I'm guessing it will be silver, but it comes in all colors, and Hick hasn't specified. This will also go on the wall behind the stove and refrigerator.

The living room has been painted eggshell white.


It looks gray to me, but Hick says that's just the lighting. He said the paint covered the old stuff really well.

I keep putting off the master bedroom reveal. There's a reason for that, as you will see. Perhaps tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. I feel like I am watching a new show..."Say Yes to the $5000 House."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the perfect title! Maybe you'll get a share of the residuals when it hits TLC or HGTV.

      Delete
  2. Like you, I like green. And purple …. It is looking more like a house that someone wants to love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I don't think Hick has any purple. Who wouldn't love a $5000 house if it was made safe and livable?

      Delete
  3. I like green too, but prefer the teal shades. Still, that kitchen is looking quite nice, the green is not too overpowering, not too "limey" and will be nicely set off by the cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as limey as the second photo appears. The kitchen is small enough that I don't think the color is overpowering. The light colored wood is also my favorite (I know, so 80s), but I imagine that green would be cute with white cabinets.

      Delete
  4. The green looks quite nice when contrasted with the eggshell color in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might turn out better than I expect, when the built-in cabinet next to the green kitchen wall is painted. For a $5000 house, any color is fine.

      Delete
  5. Wow it is starting to look good. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's coming right along. I have one more set of pictures coming, of the kitchen. They're working on the wiring now, so no dramatic changes in the interior appearance.

      Delete