Friday, March 8, 2019

Good Thing Hick Didn't Have a Flagon of Mead

While we were in Norman, Oklahoma, visiting The Pony for BirthdayPalooza, we took him to a steakhouse. That's always his choice. The Pony loves his steak. His Bestie went along with us. She also loves her steak, having been raised with cattle ranchers in her family. For some reason, Hick enjoys seeing her dig into a bloody steak. This time, though, she had the chicken-fried variety. It was so large that she took part of it home. Well. Home to her sorority house, where I guess the cook doesn't make chicken fried steak.

The rest of us cleaned our plates. No leftovers there! I had the chopped steak and steamed broccoli, and Hick and The Pony both had ribeyes with baked potatoes. I'm kicking myself for not getting a picture to prove it happened!

Hick also ordered an adult beverage. I guess he must have thought BirthdayPalooza was in HIS honor, but it was not. The drink was a Montana Mule. Hick swore that it was delicious. In fact, he kept talking about it on the way home, and said he wanted to make one for himself. Well! Who am I to crush such initiative? I asked him what was in it. He must have read the menu, or has quite a discerning palate. "Bourbon, and some kind of fizzy stuff, and limes."

Once home, Hick looked it up. He said he had the bourbon, and a metal cup somewhere, and that while the recipe called for Ginger Beer, he could substitute Ginger Ale, according to the internet. So on my next trip to town, I bought some limes. Meanwhile, Hick had found his metal cup.


Isn't that cool? It's hammered copper, according to Hick. Who was not at all hammered when he told me. It looks a little distorted, due to the angle I took the picture.

Hick was in luck, because on my next trip to Walmart, I went up and down the aisles of alcohol (thank goodness I was not seen by anyone who knows me from school), and found GINGER BEER!


It's not alcoholic in itself, but it was on the aisle with the mixers. Hick was pleased to get it. He made his own Montana Mule midweek. On a night he wasn't going to an auction. He said it was good. Almost as good as the one from Longhorn Steakhouse. However...

"My whiskey wasn't bourbon. I think that made a difference. I used Jameson. But it was pretty close!"

Let the record show that I did everything I could to help Hick recreate his Montana Mule. I sliced the lime with my floral ceramic knife. Of course, I kept two quarters of it to put in my 44 oz Diet Coke that still had about 22 oz remaining. I also provided Hick with a shot glass to measure out his whiskey. Hey! I went to college! I have a shot glass.

Funny how I'd never heard of a Montana Mule, but I'd heard of a Moscow Mule. In fact, I just googled it to compare the two, and saw a picture of Hick's hammered copper mug!

Not sure what that says about Hick's source of metal beverage containers.

10 comments:

  1. That mug looks perfect for alcoholic singing and swinging and toasting loose women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not going to help Hick recreate THAT experience!

      Delete
  2. I knew right away that mug wasn't distorted, I could see you'd taken the photo at an angle and my eyes compensated for that.
    I haven't been to college and I have two shot glasses. They're in the bathroom, one holds a fistful of piksters for my teeth and the other holds my hairclips so they don't get lost in the cloud of talcum powder that usually covers everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shot glass owners unite! There are countless ways to re-purpose them that don't involve alcohol. We can remove the stigma of shot-glass ownership, and allow those in possession to come out of the shadows!

      Delete
    2. my daughter's best friend has shot glasses lined up on the windowsill in her laundry, for the coins and other small things she empties out of pockets when sorting the wash. One glass per family member.

      Delete
    3. Heh, heh! I'd keep it all. That's the price of me doing their laundry! The Pony used to come home with pockets full of rocks. I gave those back. His "gems."

      Delete
  3. That mug reminds me of the Irish Drinking Song. I can hear Hick now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick can actually carry a tune without a drinking mug. He can sing the really low part in Oak Ridge Boys and Statler Brothers songs. In fact, Young HOS and Little Future Veteran used to clamor for him to sing along, when one came on the radio.

      Delete
  4. Now I see hick playing spoons and singing while you blow on a jug to accompany him, pausing to sip from his cup ... not happening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! You give me too much credit for musical ability. Hick would drink from the jug rather than the cup, if he had a choice.

      Delete