Friday, March 15, 2019

Hick House Downstairs: Kitchen Renovation

The kitchen of Hick House was enough to make you nauseous! To make you appreciate Hick's handiwork more, let's start with the first pictures of the kitchen. If you like to think about where in the house the kitchen is located, you can refer to your Paper Plate Blueprint again. The kitchen is on the left side of the house, at the back.


Yes. This is the KITCHEN! It's full of junk that HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) hauled in from the living room and bedroom, so he and Hick could set up a saw and other handyman tools without tripping over stuff. That's the only window. It looks out on the downhill side. Hick and HOS replaced it with a smaller window, which you can see from the post a few days ago. It looks towards a little creek, and a neighbor's house through a few trees.


This is the same wall, to the right. The built-in cabinets will stay (and be scoured within an inch of their sorry lives). I'm pretty sure that clock won't survive the culling.


Here's the old kitchen sink. Aside from those built-ins, Hick and HOS threw away everything AND the kitchen sink! Don't worry, though. Hick got a NEW kitchen sink! In fact, he got cabinets, countertop, and sink with fixtures for the low, low price of $250.

Here's the tall, pantry-like cabinet, posed near the decluttered built-ins.


And there's HOS, playing Carol Merrill beside the uppers.


And the counter and sink set into place under the window (before replacement), on March 2.


Hick has been working on the kitchen this week. He had some flooring given to him by an old crony, and decided to use it for the backsplash.


Of course I complained because this $5000 house is getting a stainless steel sink! Hick kindly offered to rip out my own almond-colored sink of the past 21 years, to put it in this house, and give me the stainless steel. No thanks. The last thing I need is Hick putting my kitchen sink on the back burner of his renovation projects!


Here's the renovated corner of the kitchen as of Tuesday (March 12). Hick is planning on using a piece of 1x to trim along the top of his flooring backsplash. He'll cut a groove in it, like making an L-shape, and fasten it along the top edge. The hole under the counter will not have a dishwasher, but will be used for a wastebasket, or perhaps have some shelves built in. The walls will be painted.

Hick said he and HOS are working with drywall around a flue corner of the kitchen (in the back left corner from this view). There's going to be a built-in table. So the kitchen was undergoing updates as this went to press.

 This isn't a going to be a palace. Just a safe, livable house that will pass city inspection.

18 comments:

  1. Do they need to get permits or have any inspections as the renovations proceed? Out here you can't do many improvements involving electricity, structure, or plumbing without without the inspector sticking their big nose into your business.

    mj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No permits needed in our county. The inspector will have to approve the house before city water can be turned on. He already stopped by, looked only at the outside of the house, (even though Hick invited him in), and said Hick could get the water turned on any time.

      Hick had asked him for water, so they can wash and clean up. He just wants a spigot for a hose right now, since HOS hasn't run the plumbing yet.

      Delete
  2. That has to be at least a $6000 house now...wait, a creek? It has a water view? $7000!

    It is starting to look nice, great job on the kitchen so far. This will be a warm comfortable home when they are done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The creek barely has water, and you can't see it much for the trees along it. Maybe $6500!

      It's coming along. So many repairs, so little money and time!

      Delete
  3. Good idea on that backsplash! Paint will make a huge difference. I love to paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick is off to buy MORE paint this afternoon. He sent me a text from the auction last night. That's how excited he is about this house, his thoughts are on it at the auction.

      "My buddy just called me. Hoods has that paint I bought for $45 this week on sale now for $29! I think I'll get some tomorrow." HOS has been painting in the evenings. Pictures coming up in a few days.

      Delete
    2. Hick just called, on his way to pick up paint. He says it's a 5-gallon bucket for $29. He plans to get three buckets. To emphasize what a bargain it was, he told me that paint at Lowe's is $45 a gallon. Of course, that's probably GOOD paint. Hick didn't know the brand of his bargain, but said it seems to cover well, from what HOS has used so far.

      Hick said there are different colors, but he's getting eggshell white, and maybe a light gray for upstairs. Just neutral tones.

      Delete
    3. I loved Hoods, but the one close to me closed! I would have to go to Jefferson City and that is too far for me to venture. Or maybe not ...

      Delete
    4. We have one south and one north. Both about equidistant. Depends on which Goodwill Hick is itching to go to.

      Delete
  4. Hick must have an amazing collection of bits and pieces!
    Will you make a scrapbook of beginning to end, I hope?!

    Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick's collection is, to use a Seinfeldian term, BREATHTAKING! I'll be documenting the progress here, but that's as close to a scrapbook as it's getting.

      Delete
  5. I almost cried when I saw how unloved that old kitchen was, but I cheered up a LOT when I saw the new model. I LOVE the blue counter. If I were to be offered a kitchen upgrade here (it can happen, most others were upgraded right before I moved in and I missed out somehow) I would choose that blue for my new counter, which we call a bench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are still cheery when I break the news that the counter is actually green! I didn't know it was called a bench there.

      Delete
    2. I did wonder about the blue because it shows as teal in the first photo, but I still like it.

      Delete
  6. That house is shaping up to become a cozy home. Those previous residents were slobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The previous resident was just one guy, who was kind of a hoarder. Not a walking on top of 10 pizza boxes and mummified cats hoarder, but getting there.

      Delete
  7. That old sink is just like the one I cleaned up in my hoarder brothers house his was almost as dirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even super-saver Hick didn't think this one was worth saving, so it must have been really bad. Maybe worse than it looks in the picture, because Hick rarely throws anything away that he judges re-usable.

      Delete