Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Hick House Upstairs: The Bedrooms

I wouldn't recommend that you lay your weary head to rest here just yet. Not even your wary head. Hick and HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) are letting the upstairs lay fallow, while they renovate the main floor, making it livable. I've already shown you the room at the top of the stairs, but here it is again, to get your bearings.


I call it the Sunroom, because it's sunny in the morning with that eastern exposure, and it's a general purpose room.


This is the other end of it. You can see the two doors that lead to the two bedrooms.
___________________________________________________________________

Bedroom 1 is on the uphill side of the house. You get there through the door to the right in the picture above. It had a lot of memorabilia scattered around. I call it the Fleetwood Mac Bedroom.


That window is the one you see upstairs in the original picture of the house, showing the front porch. This photo shows a small closet, and the door leading out to the Sunroom.


This is another view of the same wall of the Fleetwood Mac Bedroom, showing the ceiling. The wallpaper will be peeled off, and the wood painted. I don't know if that's in the 3-month timeline, or if it will be left to HOS if he takes possession of the house June 1.

Speaking of possession... I don't know what that glare is. There's a window on the back wall, looking out into the back yard. It faces west, so maybe it's a reflection off the door. Otherwise, Hick seems to have captured a large misshapen orb! When I showed him this picture to ask which room it was, he acted like I had done something to the picture. "You've got a glare on it!" Always my fault!
______________________________________________________________________

Bedroom 2 is on the downhill side of the house. You can see its double window in the picture from a couple days ago, that shows how Hick and HOS replaced and framed in the two downstairs windows.


See? Here are the double windows from the inside. And the door that goes out to the Sunroom on the front of the house, plus a little closet.


Here's the other window, that looks out on the back yard. And the far door, which leads into the Fleetwood Mac Bedroom. The door in the foreground is the one that goes out to the Sunroom. Those double windows are on the left side of the picture, where the light comes in.
__________________________________________________________________

So there you have it. The the 3 rooms that comprise the upstairs of Hick House. Not a lot going on up there for now. Just a couple of window replacements, maybe. I think the Fleetwood Mac Bedroom has a broken pane.

13 comments:

  1. I am speechless, Val. Hick House has years of disrepair, and so much repair ahead.

    When does Hick think it can be livable? God bless you, Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick is planning for Hick House to be livable by June 1. That means bathroom, kitchen, living room, and bedroom, with electricity and water and a furnace. Mainly the downstairs level.

      Work can continue upstairs once HOS likely moves in. If HOS doesn't, Hick will probably take a couple months to do the upstairs, and flip it.

      Delete
  2. Between this house restoration and pennies, you've got guaranteed material for some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I'm going to have to toss T-Hoe into the never-ending fodder-providing sweepstakes as well...

      Delete
  3. I still can't believe they got that for $5000.

    Take a look at this fixer-upper in my area.

    https://www.redfin.com/CA/Fremont/3652-Peralta-Blvd-94536/home/1059505

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's CRAZY! It must be sitting on top of a gold or diamond mine!

      I guess that just proves it's all about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. I can't think of a mansion around here that would list for that price.

      Delete
  4. that is going to be a beautiful little house when it's finished. i love it when someone takes the time to renovate like this. it could have been pulled down or left forever to just rot away. this one on youtube is amazing. it's an ongoing series. beautiful story. https://www.youtube.com/watch? keep up the good work Hick and HOS. well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seeing how the rooms in old houses are arranged. None of that common "open floor plan" stuff today that makes them all look alike. I will relay your thoughts to Hick and HOS.

      I think your link is missing something.

      Delete
  5. Our ceiling was a mess. the previous owners had attempted repairs, mostly just trying to use joint compound to glue pieces of sheetrock in place. We used 4' X 8' thin plywood and 1" X 4" boards to cover the ceiling and then create a 4 X 4' grid. It was cheap and looks pretty good. Might be quicker than peeling wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pass that idea on to Hick! He's pushing to get the downstairs ready first, so there's time. I don't think the downstairs is in such bad shape. Painting will probably do it.

      Delete
  6. Isn't that glare just the sun in the sunroom window? Because that door to the bedroom is open and that leads into the sunroom, where you previously showed the sun coming in through that window. That sunny spot would be the perfect place for a small couch to curl up and read before having a nap in the warmth.
    Those closets are super small, barely a hole-in-the-wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be onto something with the glare. I thought the Sunroom picture was taken in the morning, but the data from Hick's photos shows it was taken at 3:19 p.m. on Feb. 26. The bedroom photo was taken at 3:18 p.m. on Feb. 26.

      The closer I look, it DOES seem that the bedroom door is not closed completely, as I first thought.

      I'm surprised there's so much afternoon light in that Sunroom facing east. It does have a bit of a southern angle to it, though. If that was my house, and it was all fixed up, and I could climb stairs safely, it would be my FAVORITE of all the rooms!

      Delete
  7. Now that is a lot of work. Hub's and I have torn down our share of lath and plaster. I will be well worth it when it is done. Wish I could help, I love that kind of work.

    ReplyDelete