Monday, December 17, 2018

Another Themed Shed Builder in the Family

I'm pretty sure I mentioned a while back that HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) was thinking about building a shed for kids to hang out in while waiting for the bus. Other folks said they were fine with that, as long as the Bus Stop Shed looked reasonably presentable, and not like a hobo hovel. I was worried that our never-ending, inexhaustible stream of ne'er-do-wells might commandeer such a shed for nefarious purposes. I guess we'll cross that bridge if they come to our bridge and invade the Bus Stop Shed. Because HOS went ahead and built it.


I found it on my way to town a couple weeks ago. That's reflective yellow paint for the reckless drivers, I guess.


It's nothing flashy. Built of salvaged materials. HOS is not made of money to burn, able to throw it away on a Bus Stop Shed. Hick mumbled that the windows look like some he had over by the BARn. For 20 years.

"You always tell him that he can use anything he needs, then you complain if he does! You don't even know if those are your windows! Besides, at least they're not stacked under the BARn lean-to any more."

"Well, I DID tell him he can use stuff. Yeah."


Inside, it has a bench for sitting. No door, but who needs a door, anyway? It's got a roof, and three walls to block the wind.


You know it's a bus stop, because written beside the door is: BUS STOP. That's so you don't confuse it with a deer stand. Which it was in a former life, according to HOS's wife. I asked Lil HOSS (Hick's Oldest Son's Son) if he sits in it to wait for the bus, and he said, "No! I sit in the car!"

HOS said the shed is mainly for a family of four kids whose mom drops them off down by the mailboxes at 5:30 a.m. to wait for the bus. I'm guessing she has to get to work. I'm also guessing that the bus comes around 6:30 or 7:00. So without the Bus Stop Shed, waiting could be miserable now that winter has come. And on rainy days, too!

We'll see how long it takes for the ne'er-do-wells to discover this prime piece of real estate, and use it for a whack shack or a drug den or shoot out the windows.

If an A-Cad minding his own business rolling onto a parking lot in town isn't safe from rear-quarter-panel punchers, what chance does a rural bus stop shed have?

10 comments:

  1. And this is for real? Let me know what happens next. It doesn't sound like it will be good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bus Stop has survived for a week or so. I'm thinking that it may be okay through the winter. Maybe HOS can pull it back up to his house over the summer when it's not needed, to keep the trespassers out of it.

      Delete
  2. It's a purposeful little shed, good enough for the job, but it could use a little prettying up. Of course one can't go planting beds of flowers out there, but maybe some could be painted on the sides?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think HOS cares much about prettiness. The gray paint must have been left over from some other project. I think his wife is pretty artistic, though. I might suggest the flower idea.

      Delete
  3. A very nice thing to do for that family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I think HOS must have inherited the "helping" gene from Hick. It was a functional gesture for a neighbor.

      Delete
  4. Yes, Hick and HOS, two nice guys once you get through the tough exteriors, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does HOS"s wife feel the same about the "helpful" things her husband does at home as you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several remarks have led me to believe that she does.

      Delete