Tuesday, July 17, 2018

There's More to That Carving Artist Story

Hick didn't bother to tell me, until a couple days later, that his pal the wood-carving artist gave him a parting gift.

"He had a bunch of Jack-O-Lanterns. Said he sells them for $250. He thought he'd given me one before, but he hadn't. So he gave me one to bring home. It's out in the car now."

According to Hick, his pal never sets up a stand to sell. When he goes to festivals and stuff to carve, he takes some along. But he's not there as a vendor. If people ask, he'll sell them.


Looks to me like you can put a candle inside, since it's hollow, and the lid lifts off. Here's a view from the side.


I'm guessing it will sit there, on the side porch, until Halloween. And beyond. On those shelves Hick just had to have, but never brought inside to put in the closet.

That's a good thing, though. Because for two days, that Jack-O-Lantern was sitting on the side porch in front of Gassy G. On the porch boards. I shamed asked Hick how many animals he though had peed on it in those two days. He said he was sure the dogs wouldn't bother it.

I suppose my raised eyebrow spurred Hick into action. That, and my declaration that having a $250 handmade gift from one of his oldest friends...seems like he might want to take better care of it.

12 comments:

  1. Is the bottom open? If so, when you have tours, Hick could put the jack-o-lantern on his head and call himself Punkinhead--and then he could terrorize the tour-goers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the bottom is not open. Hick will have to terrorize the tour-goers with his own head.

      Delete
  2. A candle would probably work, but I'd get one of those fake candle things they use now in restaurants.

    I like it.

    Carving artist...I get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Restaurant? What's that? I don't think we have such a thing in these parts.

      I gave Genius and The Pony both fake candles as Christmas gifts over the years, because they couldn't have real candles in university housing. No comment on why both of my boys like candles. I think The Pony's version was remote-controlled, and you could change the color.

      So glad that SOMEONE is getting my titles.

      Delete
  3. That's the best Jack'o'lantern ever, because it is permanent, won't rot away to a slimy mess like a pumpkin would. Also because it is beautifully carved from real wood, none of that Made in China veneer stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we have had a slimy pumpkin. It was most unpleasant.

      Hick swears by real wood, no veneer. When he's Goodwill shopping for his Storage Unit Store, that's one thing he looks for.

      Delete
  4. And yes, a fake candle so as not to cause a fire inside that beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. That wooden Jack O Lantern should not see a real flame.

      Delete
  5. That is actually pretty cool, wouldn't rot like a real pumpkin, and could act as a fire plug for your pooches who have probably never seen one. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I made Hick move that wooden pumpkin off the porch boards. I'm sure my Sweet, Sweet Juno would never use it as a fireplug, and pretty sure (formerly known as Puppy) Jack wouldn't. Though I HAVE caught him using the support for the porch stair rail.

      Copper Jack is the one I think would lack respect for an artistic wooden Jack O Lantern.

      Delete
  6. It is nicely done! But, just how many trick or treaters do you have strolling the back roads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NONE! We've had a single kid in all the years we've lived here, and I had to raid The Pony's stash of Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies to give him something. Because you know if I bought candy "just in case," I would end up eating the whole bag!

      Delete