Thursday, July 26, 2018

Momday, Momday

Wah-wa, wah-wa-wa-wa

Momday, Momday, so good to me
Momday mornin´, it was all I hoped it would be
Oh Momday mornin´, Momday mornin´ couldn´t guarantee
That Momday evenin´ you would still be here with me

No, I didn't misspell that partial song I just stole plagiarized borrowed from The Mamas and The Papas. It just seemed to fit with my experiences on Monday.

Let the record show that I haven't seen a ladybug in a coon's age. Whereas they once were so plentiful that I couldn't turn around without seeing one in my house, in my car, on the porch, on the windshield, on TV, sitting beside me on the TV table, or in the card section of the grocery store. No matter what season or what weather conditions, I couldn't seem to get away from them. Not that I wanted to, since they remind me of my mom and her drop-ceilinged family room full of them.

Now I find pennies all the time, and hear two certain songs that remind me of Mom.

Anyhoo...Monday morning, I set off to town for a Walmart shopping spree. I stopped by the cemetery for a drive-thru visit with Mom. It's on the way, and she's conveniently located at the edge, so I park and talk a few minutes. Just stuff I'd tell her when she used to call me every morning. A little update on who's doing what. You can do the crazy finger twirl all you want, but that's what I do a couple times a week, since I'm passing by there anyway. This time, I mentioned a relative who's going through some tough times, and how I wish there was something we could do.

I completed my shopping and got in line. In the middle of checking out, an older lady came over to hug my old lady checker. "Oh, excuse me. That was my mom. She always stops to hug me when she's in here."

"That's okay. I wish my mom was still around to drop by my work." (Not that I wish I was working, though!)

"Yes, I'm very lucky that I've still got both my parents."

It was this exchange that distracted my checker from not ringing up the soda on my cart. But I realized it and told her about it so she could scan it, and I paid again with my debit. Leaving with that soda would have been wrong. My mom taught me that.

My next stop was Waterside Mart for some scratchers. While there, I found TWO pennies on the floor by the counter.

From there I proceeded back to Backroads to Country Mart for a few items. I was going to wait a day, but figured since I'd be passing by anyway, I might as well go in. I parked in my third-favorite spot, just to be different, even though the entire row up by the front of the store was open. I had my eye out for pennies, but didn't see any in the usual places. However...since I was walking across the lot, cutting through an empty handicap space, I saw ANOTHER penny!

All that was left of my errands was to pick up a 44 oz Diet Coke. The Gas Station Chicken Store has been out out, and didn't expect any until Tuesday. So I dropped in Orb K for my magical elixir. It's almost as good, and cheaper.

The soda fountain was kind of messy that day. Another customer asked me if a couple of lids laying there were mine, and I said, "No, but people sure are messy!" She picked up those lids and threw them away, and I used the towel they leave there to wipe up spilled soda. Because even though I didn't make the mess, it's nice to clean up. My mom taught me that.

Two clerks were working the Orb K counter. People had formed a general line, stepping over to the next available clerk as someone got done. I got the right-side clerk. When I turned to leave, I found ANOTHER penny over by the left-side register.

Only 10 minutes and five miles to get home. I'd been writing down the good songs I heard on a note card. There were two during the drive, and once I turned onto my gravel road, I pulled over by the creek to jot them down, so I wouldn't forget. I had a pretty good playlist to listen to in my dark basement lair with my lunch.

As I nosed T-Hoe back into the middle of the gravel road (that's how we drive out here) to finish the mile towards home, I was thinking of that relative that I wish we could help. The next song that started playing was "How Can I Help You Say Goodbye," by Patty Loveless. Yes. I've linked that a million times. It's one of my Mom-songs.

Monday night, as I got ready to write the next day's blog post, I looked down at my Shaming Bracelet to see if I was near my mileage goal for the day. I was close. But the main thing I noticed was the time.

11:11

No, I didn't see any ladybugs Monday. But I had a (one-sided) chat with Mom at the cemetery, talked to a Walmart checker about moms, found 4 pennies, heard a Mom song, and looked at the time at 11:11.

That's good enough for me.

7 comments:

  1. When I finished reading this post it was 6:04!

    OK,that means nothing to me, but 11:11 happens a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the one who tipped me off to 11:11. I noticed it a lot, but didn't think anything of it.

      Delete
  2. I don't get the 11:11 significance, but your day sounds lovely.
    I'm kind of glad I always lived and worked too far away for my mum to be dropping in unexpectedly. And I don't drop in on my kids either, even though I could. Except that time last February when I was in a hospital hooked up to beeping machines and my daughter who works there came downstairs several times to check on me, but that wasn't an "I'll just drop in" moment. It was a scary blood pressure too high moment and I was glad to see her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a link, but the way I remember JoeH mentioning it, 11:11 is as a sign that someone deceased is looking out for you.

      While looking for a link, I found this one:

      https://www.amandalinettemeder.com/blog/2014/1/27/10-signs-from-your-deceased-loved-ones

      That's kind of interesting, considering the things I have experienced, and associate with my mom!

      Delete
    2. Huh. I'll try to remember that and check the clock next time I do something that reminds me of my mum.

      Delete
  3. You had a really good day; watch out for Even Steven!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can almost feel him breathing down my neck.

      Delete