Tuesday, July 24, 2018

When It Pours, It Rains

As you may recall, I had a terrific stroke of luck on Friday, when I won a large amount on a lottery ticket. Yes, the monetary skies opened, and deluged Val with winnings. Here it is, three days later, and that luck is still trying to trickle my way.

Let the record show that on Monday, I found FOUR pennies! Oh, don't lament. You'll see them in my P-Nut Gallery (Penny Nut) on Saturday. But that's not the extent of my windfall on Monday. Well...it IS. But I could have had so much more.

I had paid for my items in Walmart, and was turning my cart towards the exit, when a sudden revelation hit me. If I was a bug, I would have just been windshielded.

I HAD NOT PAID FOR MY BEVERAGES!

As many other seasoned shoppers do, I had draped my beverage packs along the sides of the cart. It gives you more room in the basket, you don't wrench your back lifting them in and out and in, and all the checker has to do is point her scan gun in their direction to ring them up. My checker had been distracted, though. A story which you'll hear later this week.

Of course I reminded her before I walked away. She had already scanned two items of the customer behind me, but she took them off and got out her gun for my beverages. She thanked me, and apologized to the other customer, who was giving me the stinkeye, not at all impressed when I said,

"I can't leave without paying for them. That wouldn't be right."

Seriously, people! Is that what society has come to? You get death-stare resting-B-face from a Millennial when you refuse to steal from Walmart?


Once outside, so as not to poke the bear, I took a picture of the evidence. Two six-packs of Diet Mountain Dew and two four-packs of Strawberry Water for Hick, and a six-pack of Diet Coke for me. As you can see, I didn't have many other items. So not paying for these beverages would have been very naughty.


See there? Even Steven gave me the opportunity to abscond with $12.59 worth of merchandise, but I didn't take the bait. No good can come of that. I've marked out the store address so you can't stalk me. No good could come of THAT, either.

Yes, everything's coming up dollar signs around Val right now. But you know how that goes. An EVENing is in order. I just don't know how soon it's coming down the pike.

6 comments:

  1. Your honesty might have bought you some extra good karma time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll find out soon enough! I DID have some good things happen later that day...

      Delete
  2. $12.59? Geez your drinks are cheap. Out here that wouldn't buy half that amount of drinks. I'm glad you paid though, and Miss Stink-eye can dance on taps for all I care.
    I had no idea drinks could be draped over the cart like that, most of ours are packed in cardboard holders and have to be placed in the cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Diet Mountain Dew was on sale, but still, the prices aren't bad. When the boys were home, we bought the cans, 12 in a cardboard case.

      Delete
  3. Did you win $1000 with your Walmart receipt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO! I need to start taking my own advice: You can't win if you don't play.

      I usually toss the receipt as soon as I write down the amount. I'm there a couple times a week, so I might have decent odds...

      Delete