Thursday, December 21, 2023

Val's Heart Grew Two Dollars That Day

I went in 10Box on Tuesday, to the lottery machines along the front wall. A couple tickets were for me, but the majority were for gift-giving purposes. As I was finishing my transaction, a young boy and girl to the left caught my peripheral vision.

The boy was there first. He was around 4, and had run from the checkout to a grabber machine, peering through the glass. "Santa! Santa! Look Grandpa, there's a Santa!"

The girl ran up next. She was probably 6, and more quiet, though she also seemed thrilled to see a stuffed Santa in the grabber machine.

"Grandpa! Can we play?" Little Boy was so excited, and hopeful.

"I'll give you each one dollar," said Grandpa. He was rifling through his billfold as Little Girl ran a few steps to the door, where Grandma was waiting with the cart. She appeared to be telling Grandma about Santa in the grabber machine. Little Boy had turned back to look at the grabber toys.

I stopped by the Grandpa as I walked toward the door. "Would it be okay if I gave another dollar for each of them to play?"

"If you want to, yeah."

Of course I was prepared. I always have ones in my shirt pocket when I'm out buying scratchers. Little Boy turned expectantly to Grandpa as I was peeling off two ones.

"Here's another dollar for you." I handed it to him. 

"Thank you!" He was in awe, and needed no prodding, though the Grandpa was in the process of telling him, "What do you say?"

Little Girl ran back to Grandpa, ready to get this grabber show on the road. "Here's a dollar for you." I handed one to her, and she also thanked me, as Grandma was telling her, "What do you say?"

"Oh, they both thanked me. I just love to play those grabber machines! Even now, at my age! I'm feeling in a Christmas mood."

The Grandma thanked me, and I went out the automatic doors. My chest felt funny. Like something was expanding. I'm pretty sure Genius would have diagnosed it as my cold, cold heart thawing just a little.

8 comments:

  1. I was in the mall this summer, or last summer. I saw a gaggle of girls mulling over which buns they would get from the bakery - and I heard one ask another to buy one for her. I decided to just buy a bunch, and they could each get one for free. I ran away, but they caught up to me and thanked me. :') sometimes, it just does your heart good to see younger folks smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those kids were so excited to discover a Santa in the grabber machine. That was the most important thing in their world at that moment. It make me feel like a kid again.

      Delete
  2. Aww! Val, I can't believe you have a cold heart:) That was so nice of you and I'm sure your gesture made the day for Little Boy and Little Girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold, cold heart referenced my tough outer shell persona, playing no favorites, and suffering no shenanigans in the classroom.

      Behind the scenes, that heart was an oozing gooey mess, allowing me to do little things to make life easier for those in need. Anonymously. Not in it for the glory.

      Those kids were happy to be grabbing for Santa.

      Delete
  3. I get the same heart feeling when I do something nice on the spur of the moment. it puts a smile on my face and a little spring in my step. I'm glad you did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't leave home with the intention of do-gooding. When the situation moves me, I step up. Like that time I gave $2 to a 10:00 a.m. alcoholic without enough money for the cheapest bottle of whiskey at the Gas Station Chicken Store, or $1 to the young person without enough money for a vape at the Liquor Store.

      https://unbaggingthecats.blogspot.com/2022/05/you-never-know-when-karma-might-come.html

      Enabling other people's vices, that's Val! Hope these young'uns don't get hooked on grabber machines.

      Delete
  4. I get a warm feeling when I help unexpectedly. People need a stranger to do something with no expectations from them. I am glad you asked the grandfather first. I was annoyed when an adult approached my child first. Adults need to grant the boon and the stranger or other adult can hand it over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Grandpa might have been teaching them about limits. Like, "This is what you get, don't beg for more." So I wanted to make sure he was okay with it. And I didn't want to seem creepy approaching a child, or sticking around to watch them play on that dollar.

      Delete