Sunday, November 26, 2023

Thevictorians' Dessert Cornucopia

When I was shopping for the final items I needed for Thanksgiving Dinner, I went overboard on the desserts. Part of it was guilt for not making them myself. I usually make an Oreo Cake for The Pony, and a chocolate pudding pie for Hick. The older I get, the less effort I feel like expending. After all, I was making three sides, plus The Pony making his own Stovetop Stuffing that he loves so much. I figured storebought desserts would suffice.

The five desserts were: 

Marie Callender's Chocolate Satin Pie: we had this a previous year, on a whim, and Hick and I both love it.

Marie Callender's Banana Cream Pie: Hick loves banana cream pie, and I also like it.

Triple Chocolate Cake: it's shaped like a bundt cake, with a chocolate glaze icing, and mini chocolate chips sprinkled on top. We all like chocolate cake.

Mini Blueberry Muffins: The Pony likes them, and used to get the individual bags of mini muffins. These came in a clear plastic container, one dozen.

Chocolate-Covered Brownies: not full size, but like mini brownies, in a clear plastic container smaller than that holding the mini blueberry muffins. The Pony loves brownies, and I figured he would love chocolate-covered brownies even more.

I planned to send half the Triple Chocolate Cake, what was left of the Mini Blueberry Muffins, and all six of the Chocolate-Covered Brownies home with The Pony. Hick got to choose which pie he wanted me to set out to thaw. He picked the Banana Cream Pie.

Anyhoo... The Pony and I were still giggling about old times, chipping away at our enormous plates of savory food, when Hick pushed his empty plate away, and announced he was getting dessert. We paid him no mind, as usual. He got a knife and a paper plate as we continued to reminisce. And then we heard it!

CRUNCH!

The Pony and I cut eyes at each other. That didn't sound right.

"Uh. Dad? I don't think your pie has thawed out yet."

"NO! Get something else. Let the pie wait until later."

Of course Hick does not listen to us. Especially when DESSERT is involved! He brought his plate of pie to the table, and commenced poking his fork into it.

CRUNCH!

"No. Don't eat that! Let it thaw!"

Hick put that bite of pie into his mouth, and started chewing. CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH!

The Pony and I looked on in horror, as Hick proclaimed, "It's fine." He continued to chew. It sounded like he was eating light bulbs! 

Once the slice of pie was finished, Hick got up again. He came back with a slice of the Triple Chocolate Cake. Which was blessedly silent as he ate it. 

THEN Hick went back to the counter, and got himself a Mini Blueberry Muffin. 

The Pony and I were still eating our regular food. We were both too full for dessert. In fact, The Pony declined the Mini Blueberry Muffins as part of his leftovers to take home. He DID take all the Chocolate-Covered Brownies, and half the Triple Chocolate Cake. Also Chinese Tupperware containers of ham, roasted vegetables, stuffing, half of the sliced assorted cheeses pack, his remaining Sister Schubert's Rolls plus a still-frozen pack to bake later. And two individual salads that I had made for him, with the bottle of Peppercorn Ranch Dressing.

The Pony's reason for declining the Mini Blueberry Muffins?

"I can't eat too much. My route is not as much walking as I used to have."

By the following evening, Hick's Banana Cream Pie was no longer crunchy. He really likes it.

10 comments:

  1. Ha! Ha! Hick and his crunchy banana cream pie. I love Marie Callender's banana cream pie too but the frozen pie I buy the most is Edwards Key Lime pie. It's so-o-o good:) I don't think I've ever bought the key lime pie for a holiday though. I'm with you and The Pony... I eat the Thanksgiving meal and then need to wait before eating any dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it must have thawed at some point, and not on my 10-minute drive home from the store. Then it was re-frozen, and crystals formed in the real banana slices in the pie. Hick DOES like his cheesecake still partly frozen. But this was an extreme texture for the Banana Cream Pie.

      I don't know if I've ever had key lime pie, but I like key lime flavored yogurt. The Pony and I were enjoying our real food too much to leave room for dessert!

      Delete
  2. I love the main meal too much to leave room for dessert, ever. I would rather eat it much later. However, eating dessert first is no problem. This is well before the meal is on the table. "Life is uncertain; eat dessert first."
    Pony's reason for not taking mini-brownies is so funny.
    I can and will gladly eat frozen chocolate.
    I always put frozen items in my buggy last so they don't thaw while I shop. Sometimes, the ice cream has thawed and refrozen, so I get nasty ice cream. People take frozen items for a stroll around the store, change their minds and put the now-thawed ice cream back in the freezer for me to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the pie must have thawed during shipping, though it's possible somebody took it out of their cart. It WAS the last thing I put in my cart before checkout, and I went straight home. If it didn't thaw in two hours on the kitchen counter, I'm pretty sure it didn't thaw on the 10-minute ride home!

      Also, The Pony helped himself to four "auction cookies" while getting the meal ready. They were Keebler Chips Deluxe Double Chocolate With M&Ms. Good thing he's cutting back! Or the rest of the package might be gone.

      Delete
    2. I was not telling you how to do it. I do put ice frozen things in my buggy last, and most of the time it is still frozen when I get home. The ice cream that has been melted some and refrozen is stuff I believe someone rode around with in the buggy. I did not think it melted in your care...lol.
      That is funny about the Keebler cookies.

      Delete
    3. I didn't think you were telling me how to do it. Just repeating my doubts that the thawing was done on my watch, like I did in the reply to Suemn in the comment above. And how I also put the frozen items in the cart last.

      The Pony saw the cookies, and couldn't resist. We were planning to eat at 1:00, so I guess he hadn't had any breakfast before getting picked up by Hick at 11:30. I'm sure if I had offered those cookies for him to take home, he would have used his "cutting back" excuse!

      Delete
  3. It all sounds so delicious I'm sure I gained five pounds just reading about it. I have eaten thawing cheesecake as soon as I can get my fork into it, never in winter though, only in summer when the extra coldness is welcome. I have never had a banana cream pie nor a chocolate pudding pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing I didn't include a picture, or you might have gained another pound looking at it! I'm not a big fan of this Banana Cream Pie, because it has regular crust, and I prefer a graham cracker crust. It the Chocolate Satin Pie has regular crust, I'll just eat the insides, and give my crust to the dogs.

      Delete
  4. That banana pie sounded good until you likened Hick's chewing to light bulbs! Pepperidge Farm 's coconut cake is my most favorite frozen dessert and I can eat it frozen or thawed. I rarely but it because I really like it and could easily eat half at a time! We had pecan pie and pumpkin pie. My niece made them and the crust was gluten free. I liked the crust, but when HeWho found out, he ate the guts of his two pieces of pie and left the crust. Not to worry, I ate them, as we all know how much I hate waste! With my broken tooth, it took me awhile to eat all that crust, but I am determined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sound was worse than nails on a chalkboard! I like coconut cake. Might have to try that kind. As for the pecan and pumpkin pies, not a fan. And I don't like any crust unless it's graham cracker or cookie crumbs. Thanks for taking one for the team in preventing HeWho's crust from going to waste!

      Delete